Taking digital photos straight to PC

Old November 6th 05, 12:06 PM
Luke O'Donoghue

Default Taking digital photos straight to PC

Hello,

I an trying to set up a system so that we can quickly and easily photograph
our stock as it leaves our workshop. I would like to be able to have the
user simply take one click of the camera, have the computer popup ask for
the stock number and then have the image automatically saved onto the
computer with this as a file name. Ideally it should also apply some
standard filters to enhance the image too.

If anyone has any ideas on what cameras or software would be able to do
this, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Luke O'Donoghue

Old November 6th 05, 12:32 PM
David Kilpatrick

Luke O'Donoghue wrote:
Hello,

I an trying to set up a system so that we can quickly and easily photograph
our stock as it leaves our workshop. I would like to be able to have the
user simply take one click of the camera, have the computer popup ask for
the stock number and then have the image automatically saved onto the
computer with this as a file name. Ideally it should also apply some
standard filters to enhance the image too.

If anyone has any ideas on what cameras or software would be able to do
this, I would be very grateful.

Many cameras do but one of the cheapest options is to obtain a Konica
Minolta Dimage A2/A200 - a prosumer level camera - with Dimage Remote
downloaded software. This allows a live preview on the PC screen, and
capture can be controlled from the keyboard, mouseclick not
shutterclick, or from the camera. You don't lose the camera's viewfinder
view either. You could enter the filename but it would not exactly 'pop
up' a box - just the normal filesave dialog.

David
Old November 6th 05, 03:51 PM
simon

Sounds like good college or university project to me...

Do you have a college or university near by - if so speak to them about
Student projects.

Old November 7th 05, 12:38 PM
BenParks

Canon also have an SDK so you can write an app that drives the camera
(release shutter, control zoom, download image etc etc). You can then
also build in the other bits you need for the stock numbers etc etc.

Last time I used it it was a COM control so you could use it in any
windows based langage (e.g. c++ vb etc).