battery recharge problem

Old November 2nd 05, 01:16 AM
Dan Valleskey

Default battery recharge problem

Starting to plan a Summer 2 week wilderness trip. Would like to use
digital camera, but I do not know how we can replace/ recharge the
batteries.

The Olympus we have now (C-765) uses a funny little LI battery.
Battery life is terrible, but usually it is not a problem.

Does anyone still make midrange digital cameras that can use AA or AAA
batteries? Easiest way might be to buy a bunch of batteries, replace
as needed. But the stuff I am seeing for sale uses propriatary
batteries, far as I have seen.

We could use a solar panel (canoe trip, ya know). but still not sure
how to get the solar panel output to charge a battery.

We could buy a few more batteries for present camera, but at 35 a pop,
that is not very economical. especially after having to buy extra
memory too.

Pentax has a Optio that is waterproof, that would be a nice choice for
this trip, and for other canoe trips afterwards. But that is not
going to get me past the battery problem.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

-Dan

Old November 2nd 05, 01:58 AM
Paul Heslop

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

loads of cams do the AA option, tbh, including Olympus. Best way is
just take a look on the sites where they sell cams, see what option
are available. For instance, you have the 765, I have the (not as
good) 725 and mine uses AA batteries.
--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look
Old November 3rd 05, 02:48 AM
Dan Valleskey

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:58:26 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

mine uses propriaetary batteries.

Actually, many new cameras are leaning that way. I am looking around
on Steve's digital camera web site, he has a listing for "battery
used", that is helping some.

right now, leaning toward the sony dsc-u60; waterproof, uses AAAs.
Also, Casio offers very long battery life.

thanks!

-Dan

Old November 3rd 05, 08:56 AM
Paul Heslop

wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

just sorry i couldn't be of more help but there are far too many AA
using cams to list. I think it tends to be the lower priced ones using
AA but not always.

Old November 5th 05, 02:48 AM
GMAN

wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

Old November 5th 05, 08:40 AM
peter

wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

Almost all cameras have a DC input socket. Why not use an external
battery pack (on your belt?). NiCd or NiMH can be recharged from almost
any source with a low tech charger, and the Lithium cell saved for when
you have a civilised power supply
Old November 5th 05, 09:00 AM
David J Taylor

GMAN wrote:
[]
The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

The Canon S2 IS is off-topic in this group.
It is on-topic in: rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Old November 5th 05, 09:42 AM
Paul Heslop

wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[...]

:O) I knew this would happen. I wasn't being snide or anything, I
just meant that it's easier to find cams using AA in the lower price
ranges, and even then probably too simplified, as I class anything
over £500 as being ridiculously expensive.
Old November 5th 05, 09:43 AM
Paul Heslop

David J Taylor wrote:

GMAN wrote:
[]
The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

The Canon S2 IS is off-topic in this group.
It is on-topic in: rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Not to the OP it's not and his C765 is a similar cam
Old November 5th 05, 09:57 AM
David J Taylor

Paul Heslop wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

GMAN wrote:
[]
The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

The Canon S2 IS is off-topic in this group.
It is on-topic in: rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Not to the OP it's not and his C765 is a similar cam

rec.photo.digital.zlr caters for cameras with manual focus, aperture and
shutter control, which includes the C765. Whether you would consider it
SLR-like, though, might be open for debate!

David