Brit mag rates E-1 and 1DsMk 2 as best cameras

Old August 30th 05, 07:49 AM
Pete D

Which is really strange because if I was rating them I would drop the
350D
off alltogether because I think the ergonomics suck big time, but there
you
go.

This only goes to prove that the only accurate review is the one done
by the intended buyer/user. But then we already knew that..... ;-)

Al

Only for ergonomics. Performance is performance and doesn't
vary from person to person if they follow the same rules.
-Rich

But Rich absolute performance is not the complete equation and when you
finally buy a D-SLR you will realise that.

Old August 30th 05, 07:51 AM
Pete D

"Slack" wrote in message
Beach Bum wrote:
...and British magazine Practical Photography Film & Digital Sept 2005
rated Canon 20D Testers choice, Nikon D50 best buy.
350D, 20D & 1DSMkII got 5 stars whilst E-300, *ist DL & SD10 got 3
(lowest)

Which is really strange because if I was rating them I would drop the
350D
off alltogether because I think the ergonomics suck big time, but there

you

go.

The 350D works great for my girlfriend. She loves it. I can barely take
photo with it because my hands are too big. More and more I am convinced
the 350D is the 20D for women - which is /not/ a bad thing.

Hey, what are you saying, the 350D is a chick camera?
--
Slack - hands like a chick

Lucky guy??

Old August 30th 05, 07:52 AM
Pete D

"dylan" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote in message

"dylan" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Amateur Photographer rated them according to various
things, but what it came down to was image quality
with the 1DsMk2 and E-1 coming closest to good film
compared to the other 10 DSLRs on test. Egonomics, etc,
also came into play.
-Rich

...and British magazine Practical Photography Film & Digital Sept 2005
rated Canon 20D Testers choice, Nikon D50 best buy.
350D, 20D & 1DSMkII got 5 stars whilst E-300, *ist DL & SD10 got 3
(lowest)

Which is really strange because if I was rating them I would drop the
350D off alltogether because I think the ergonomics suck big time, but
there you go.

They did comment in the 'Cons' column :- " Small size can prove
uncomfortable for users with large hands ".
Perhaps thats why it didn't get Best Buy.

I think they are uncomfortable for people with "standard" hands, seriously
what were Canon thinking?.

Old August 30th 05, 11:15 PM
Frank ess

Mike wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Size of the camera in this case would be a qualitative judgement,
not quantitative. Quality of the pics don't suffer, its just
personal preference...

/like my 350D and its size, and I'm 6'1, 200lbs.

Just think how happy you would be with a decent sized hand grip.

Good grief. I also enjoy the 350D and have similar personal
dimensions (maybe because I spent all last year using a Sony V1
P@S -
now _that_ was small). If size or weight is a handling problem for
some - just superglue it to a brick.

Seems to me the human being, adaptable as it is, can handle a few mms
and gs difference here and there. Once it has mastered the location of
features and practiced sufficiently, the slight differences disappear
as attention is directed to other aspects of tasks at hand.

They disappear like the size of the numbers on your speedometer, the
color of the bonnet in front of the windscreen, your wedding
anniversary date, your brother-in-law's wife's mother's preference in
cocktails ...

You may not believe there is no significant difference when you start,
or compare directly, but when those features are not the center of
attention their scale in the greater universe of things that matter
diminishes dramatically. Arriving at the place where they pale may be
more tedious for some (people and features), but if you can trust your
capabilities --and you should be able to-- you'll get there.

Unless, of course, there are some among the other human
multi-capacities inhibiting development. Some kind of fear or
fixation. Some kind of escsape into activity. Something.

Old August 31st 05, 12:16 AM
Alan Bremner

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:16:54 -0400, RichA wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:58:50 +0100, Alan Bremner
wrote:

This only goes to prove that the only accurate review is the one done
by the intended buyer/user. But then we already knew that..... ;-)

Only for ergonomics. Performance is performance and doesn't
vary from person to person if they follow the same rules.

Performance is meaningless if the camera feels uncomfortable or
awkward to use. The best camera in the world won't give you that
perfect shot if you're struggling to handle it.

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
Old August 31st 05, 12:16 AM
Alan Bremner

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:52:55 GMT, "Pete D" wrote:

I think they are uncomfortable for people with "standard" hands, seriously
what were Canon thinking?.

I buy gloves in 'large' size and used Olympus OM SLRs for over twenty
years.The 350D is almost identical in height so to me it doesn't feel
small. It's all down to what you're used to.

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
Old August 31st 05, 01:03 AM
RichA

wrote:

This only goes to prove that the only accurate review is the one done
by the intended buyer/user. But then we already knew that..... ;-)

Only for ergonomics. Performance is performance and doesn't
vary from person to person if they follow the same rules.

Performance is meaningless if the camera feels uncomfortable or
awkward to use. The best camera in the world won't give you that
perfect shot if you're struggling to handle it.

Al

Very true. I watched a guy with large hands trying to use it in a
store and he complained. But women should like it. Perhaps Canon
sees an untapped market?
-Rich

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
Old August 31st 05, 03:22 AM
Slack

Pete D wrote:

"Slack" wrote in message

Beach Bum wrote:

...and British magazine Practical Photography Film & Digital Sept 2005
rated Canon 20D Testers choice, Nikon D50 best buy.
350D, 20D & 1DSMkII got 5 stars whilst E-300, *ist DL & SD10 got 3
(lowest)

Which is really strange because if I was rating them I would drop the
350D
off alltogether because I think the ergonomics suck big time, but there

you

go.

The 350D works great for my girlfriend. She loves it. I can barely take
photo with it because my hands are too big. More and more I am convinced
the 350D is the 20D for women - which is /not/ a bad thing.

Hey, what are you saying, the 350D is a chick camera?
--
Slack - hands like a chick

Lucky guy??

L O L I guess so, being I own a 350D :-)
--
Slack