Nursing camera batteries?

Old January 20th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Nursing camera batteries?

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

As an aside, it's slightly irritating that the camera tells me every
time I power up that I am not using 126s batteries, and that these would
last longer. And so they should, at several times the price of a 126
clone (which I have been using successfully for years).
Old January 20th 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.
Old January 20th 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 20/01/2019 18:48, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point. I
didn't mean discharging totally against a resistance, as we used to do
for NiCad batteries to avoid memory effect.

I agree they are not a major item of expenditure, it's just the engineer
in me that wants to be efficient.
Old January 20th 19, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2019, newshound wrote
(in ) :

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

No.

With the X-T3+grip I find that the grip batteries discharge first, and I very
seldom have to charge the camera battery, usually via USB-C. The grip
batteries are charged via the grip charger. I also carry at least two spare
batteries which I can easily swap out in the grip rather than having to
remove the grip to access the camera battery.

As an aside, it's slightly irritating that the camera tells me every
time I power up that I am not using 126s batteries, and that these would
last longer. And so they should, at several times the price of a 126
clone (which I have been using successfully for years).

Yup! I have that issue once, but I had enough 126S batteries on hand so my
extra 126 batteries have been relegated to X-T2, & X-E3 use.

Savageduck

Old January 20th 19, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/20/2019 1:40 PM, newshound wrote:
Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

It depends on the battery. If you charge repeatedly charge Ni-Cd
batteries before they are fully discharged, after a while you will not
be able to get a full charge, unless you go through a refreshment
process, which does not always work. With NiMH, and Li-ion, a regular
deep discharge will shorten the life. However, after about 35 partial
discharges, I put my NiMH through a discharge and full slow charge
cycle, on my charger. I am following the advise given to me by some
experts.

As an aside, it's slightly irritating that the camera tells me every
time I power up that I am not using 126s batteries, and that these would
last longer. And so they should, at several times the price of a 126
clone (which I have been using successfully for years).

I am paranoid about only using OEM batteries in my camera. The
difference in cost of the battery, compared to the price of the camera,
is trivial. You may get away with it, but I think the upside is not
worth the potential downside. Others will disagree, and I will not get
involved in that type of debate, as I've given my opinion, and it is up
to the user to do what they want.

--
PeterN
Old January 20th 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

newshound wrote:

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point. I
didn't mean discharging totally against a resistance, as we used to do
for NiCad batteries to avoid memory effect.

Don’t worry. If you are using the three batteries that the camera+grip give
you, the power management in the camera will distribute the load between the
remaining batteries once the primary battery reaches a critical low charge
level.

I agree they are not a major item of expenditure, it's just the engineer
in me that wants to be efficient.

The Fuji batteries are not exactly a bargain.

Savageduck

Old January 20th 19, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point.

i didn't mean discharge to zero, and they do stop ahead of that.

the point is that lion batteries will last longer with many partial
discharges than fewer deep discharges.

didn't mean discharging totally against a resistance, as we used to do
for NiCad batteries to avoid memory effect.

that is also a bad idea and there is no memory effect, at least the way
people think of it. the problem was mainly overcharging due to ****ty
chargers that didn't detect eoc.

I agree they are not a major item of expenditure, it's just the engineer
in me that wants to be efficient.

don't try to outguess the engineers who designed the camera's power
management.

use the batteries normally and don't worry about it.
Old January 20th 19, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

As an aside, it's slightly irritating that the camera tells me every
time I power up that I am not using 126s batteries, and that these would
last longer. And so they should, at several times the price of a 126
clone (which I have been using successfully for years).

I am paranoid about only using OEM batteries in my camera. The
difference in cost of the battery, compared to the price of the camera,
is trivial. You may get away with it, but I think the upside is not
worth the potential downside.

this is good advice.

however, there are *some* third party batteries that are good. the
problem is figuring out which ones they are, among all the crap.

Others will disagree, and I will not get
involved in that type of debate, as I've given my opinion, and it is up
to the user to do what they want.

yep, and they get to deal with any problems.
Old January 20th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Alkalines are so cheap and readily available, that I don't bother with
any rechargable stuff. Also greater capacity so less trouble.