On-topic or off-topic? The Charter explained

Old August 18th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_6_]

Default On-topic or off-topic? The Charter explained

When the idea of reigniting Shootin was raised, I wrote to the
administrators of the "Big 8" newsgroups and asked for clarity in what
the charter meant and how it is applied to a group.

Martin Moleski took the time to create a docuwiki explaining it all.

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...group_charters

Basically, Once a group is formed, the charter becomes a historical
document of reference, with no enforceable power. As he and Davis Sill
(big 8) pointed out... It is the members of the group who control how it
will relate to it's name and charter.

About 3 years ago, the "group" voted to continue the shootin after a few
people (me included) though it off-topic to turn an equipment group into
a photo discussion one.

The majority rules, not Bret!

If the troll who keeps playing netkop about posting photo links here
could now stop his annoying behaviour, we can all get on with enjoying
what we do.
Old August 18th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

"D-Mac" wrote in message
When the idea of reigniting Shootin was raised, I wrote to the
administrators of the "Big 8" newsgroups and asked for clarity in what the
charter meant and how it is applied to a group.

Martin Moleski took the time to create a docuwiki explaining it all.

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...group_charters

Basically, Once a group is formed, the charter becomes a historical
document of reference, with no enforceable power. As he and Davis Sill
(big 8) pointed out... It is the members of the group who control how it
will relate to it's name and charter.

About 3 years ago, the "group" voted to continue the shootin after a few
people (me included) though it off-topic to turn an equipment group into a
photo discussion one.

The majority rules, not Bret!

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

Secondly, when the shoot-in started, it was agreed that all posts related to
the shoot-in include [SI] so that it could be easily filtered out for those
who don't want to see those threads. So, if you, or anyone else doesn't want
to see those threads, please add "[SI]" to your filters and you'll never
have to see them again. Is there any reason why you won't just simply filter
the threads?

Old August 18th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 12:34 AM:

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

There is no "tally". There is simply a charter and a set of rules
of Usenet usage, long ago agreed to. No need to tally anything
just because you feel like asking for it.

Secondly, when the shoot-in started, it was agreed that all posts
related to the shoot-in include [SI] so that it could be easily filtered
out for those who don't want to see those threads. So, if you, or anyone
else doesn't want to see those threads, please add "[SI]" to your
filters and you'll never have to see them again. Is there any reason why
you won't just simply filter the threads?

Why don't you just do the simple and honorable thing
which is to create your own group for this type of
contest? Plenty of places to do it in, even in the Usenet:
the entire alt.* hierarchy is available precisely for this
purpose.
Old August 19th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
^Tems^[_2_]

Noons wrote:
Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 12:34 AM:

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

There is no "tally". There is simply a charter and a set of rules
of Usenet usage, long ago agreed to. No need to tally anything
just because you feel like asking for it.

Actually it was The Doggy that said the group voted so there must be a
tally for him to know what the majority wanted.
Old August 19th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

"Noons" wrote in message
Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 12:34 AM:

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

There is no "tally". There is simply a charter and a set of rules
of Usenet usage, long ago agreed to. No need to tally anything
just because you feel like asking for it.

I never saw a vote. Doug said there was a vote. I just asked to see the
tally. Do you or Doug shoot a 35mm film camera? If not, why are you here?

Old August 19th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 9:57 PM:

I never saw a vote.

You don't *need& to see a vote: the Usenet was created
before you were born to things Internet. Got it?

Doug said there was a vote. I just asked to see the
tally.

You don't see the tally. You take what's there
and go with it, for the same reasons you do NOT
question the entire structure of society simply
because you weren't there when your ancestors
climbed down the tree.

Do you or Doug shoot a 35mm film camera?

You must be the biggest imbecile around
to ask such question.

If not, why are you here?

None of your business. Move along to
a non-35mm dslr newsgroup.
Old August 19th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

"Noons" wrote in message
Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 9:57 PM:

You must be the biggest imbecile around
to ask such question.

And you an even bigger one to actually reply!

You have truly earned your reputation. Bye...

Old August 19th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_6_]

Bõwser wrote:

"Noons" wrote in message
Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 12:34 AM:

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

There is no "tally". There is simply a charter and a set of rules
of Usenet usage, long ago agreed to. No need to tally anything
just because you feel like asking for it.

I never saw a vote. Doug said there was a vote. I just asked to see the
tally. Do you or Doug shoot a 35mm film camera? If not, why are you here?

OK Bõwser, here is the proposal from Lisa Horton. The shootin is still
here right? so do your own research in future and stop the sarcasm
towards me. I'm the flexible one here, willing to change when the
majority wants it.

Lisa Horton Jan 21 2004, 5:33 am

Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm
From: Lisa Horton
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:32:31 -0800
Subject: Shoot-In, yea or nay?

I've left the [SI] prefix off so that those who don't follow the SI will
(hopefully) see this post.

With Anni disinvolving himself, and me far too busy to take up the
slack, we find ourselves at a bit of a crossroads. The SI was started
as something to benefit the group as a whole. However, I know that not
ALL group participants are fans.

Then there's Glenn, who obviously has a problem with the SI. Now, I
don't know if he goes after people involved in the SI because he hates
the SI, or if he goes after anything SI related because he hates me. In
any case, continuing the SI may motivate him to continue his activities,
but of course there's no guarantee that stopping it will cause him to
stop.

So, I believe that it would be helpful at this juncture to take a vote.
If a majority of voters wish for the SI to continue, I will try to make
that happen. If the majority feels that the SI should go away, then
there will be no further SI activity.

I cannot guarantee that I will be able to enforce the groups vote, as I
am not really in control of the SI, but I will do what I can.

Lisa
------------------------------------

Film is dead. Long live film.

--
Meet the trolls...
http://www.d-mac.info/trolls.htm
Old August 20th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 20/08/2008 1:31 AM:

Do you or Doug shoot a 35mm film camera?

You must be the biggest imbecile around
to ask such question.

And you an even bigger one to actually reply!

So why did you ask the moronic question
in the first place?

Because you're an idiot troll like
all the other ****wits from pbase?

You have truly earned your reputation. Bye...

Good. Bye. At least you're capable of
a smidgeon of comprehension.
Old August 20th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Böwser[_2_]

"D-Mac" wrote in message
Bõwser wrote:

"Noons" wrote in message
Bõwser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 12:34 AM:

First of all, I'd love to see your tally of the votes. Oh, right.

There is no "tally". There is simply a charter and a set of rules
of Usenet usage, long ago agreed to. No need to tally anything
just because you feel like asking for it.

I never saw a vote. Doug said there was a vote. I just asked to see the
tally. Do you or Doug shoot a 35mm film camera? If not, why are you here?

OK Bõwser, here is the proposal from Lisa Horton. The shootin is still
here right? so do your own research in future and stop the sarcasm towards
me. I'm the flexible one here, willing to change when the majority wants
it.

What majority? What minority? What tally? What vote? I see that LH proposed
one, but how do you take a vote in this, or any forum?

Again, why not just filter it if you don't want to see it? If you have
access to any sort of vote or tally regarding the shoot-in let's see it.
Real names only, no SPs. I just do not understand why some like to play
usenet cop. What's the point?

Lisa Horton Jan 21 2004, 5:33 am

Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm