Epson P-2000 arrived today! (slightly OT)

Old February 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
David J Taylor

Default Epson P-2000 arrived today! (slightly OT)

Very nice unit - and really handy for folk on the move! Please see:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

Some notes and very first impressions:

- easier to use than the manual might suggest!

- slower to display thumbnails than I expected

- displays Nikon 8400 images and 15 fps 320 x 240 movies OK

- displays Nikon 5700 images and movies (same as above?) OK

- doesn't play a sound annotation from a Nikon 8400 image, because it's a
wave file

- displays Panasonic FZ20 images OK

- it doesn't play a sound annotation from an Panasonic FZ20 image, which
is in .MOV format. You get "This video cannot be played".

- plays 10 fps movie from the Panasonic FZ20 OK

- it does start to play a 30 fps movie from a Panasonic SD card, but
doesn't complete playing it (the specification does say 24 fps maximum, so
OK).

Just a taster of what the box can do. We've made no attempt as yet even
to store images on its hard disk.

Cheers,
David

Old February 16th 05, 06:11 PM
pauldsc

David

Have you had a chance to test P-2000 Direct Printing yet? I am very
interested in buying a P-2000 but I'm getting conflicting information
(from Epson).

Essentially I'd like to know if the P-2000 will successfully direct
print to non-Epson printers . Personally I prefer Canon photo printers
(performance, cost of consumables etc). Will the Epson direct print to
PIXMA or other Canon A4 and A3 printers (like the i9950)?

Naturally enough Epson recommend a small list of Epson (only) printers
in their printer compatibility list. However the technical spec issued
by Epson to their dealers states that the Direct Print Specification is
"Canon Direct Print". For an example see the spec:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai...splay=extended

If that is the case then the P-2000 should direct print to most recent
Canon printers. However I have asked for confirmation from Epson
Pre-Sales Technical Support and they now say that this mention of
"Canon Direct Print" may be an error and will only confirm that the
P-2000 will print to the widely available but limited list of Epson
printers. This is confirmed by any Epson reseller who I have asked (who
themselves have had to ask Epson).

(There used to be reference to Direct Print Specification being "Canon
Direct Print" in the relevant P-2000 support documentation on the Epson
website but it looks like it has gone now).

The only chance I can see of getting help with this is from someone who
may have bought the P-2000 and has played around with the direct
printing (with non-Epson printers). I find it confusing enough trying
to understand the differences between USB Direct Printing, Bubblejet
Direct, Canon Direct Print and Pictbridge without getting ambiguous and
inconclusive info from the manufacturers.

Rgds

Paul

Old February 16th 05, 08:10 PM
David J Taylor

pauldsc wrote:
David

Have you had a chance to test P-2000 Direct Printing yet? I am very
interested in buying a P-2000 but I'm getting conflicting information
(from Epson).

Sorry, but (a) we've not tried printing and (b) I only have Epson printers
here! It does work into a TV, though....

Cheers,
David

Old July 11th 05, 01:42 PM

Mine arrived about a week ago.

battery life seems very good so far,
operation is simple after you try it the first time,
and the picture display is very good.

slide show does not allow me to select no transition,
and image presentation is just a little slower than I would like.

the primary task is loading and storing images,
and that it does very well.