Does automated printer color correction software exist?

Old July 25th 04, 04:48 PM
not really me

Default Does automated printer color correction software exist?

My inkjet's color has always been off a bit (a little too dark, a little
too red). My attempts to correct it by eye with the stock printer
software have never been close enough. It's never been a problem with
most printing, but now that I'm getting into digital photography, it's
just not good enough. I'm wondering if any software exists that will
compare the original picture with the printed copy, scanned back into
the computer, yielding the necessary corrections. Starting with a
scanned image should eliminate any scanning errors. Any suggestions?
By the way, if it matters, the printer in question is a Lexmark Z11
(yeah, I know, what do I expect if I won't spend a couple of bucks on a
decent printer, but you can't blame a guy for trying! Besides, other
than the color calibration, it's worked fine for 5 years now - not bad
for a cheapie...)

Old July 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Marvin Margoshes

"not really me" wrote in message
My inkjet's color has always been off a bit (a little too dark, a little
too red). My attempts to correct it by eye with the stock printer
software have never been close enough. It's never been a problem with
most printing, but now that I'm getting into digital photography, it's
just not good enough. I'm wondering if any software exists that will
compare the original picture with the printed copy, scanned back into
the computer, yielding the necessary corrections. Starting with a
scanned image should eliminate any scanning errors. Any suggestions?
By the way, if it matters, the printer in question is a Lexmark Z11
(yeah, I know, what do I expect if I won't spend a couple of bucks on a
decent printer, but you can't blame a guy for trying! Besides, other
than the color calibration, it's worked fine for 5 years now - not bad
for a cheapie...)

It is best to match the printer and the monitor. There are several ways to
do it. Some depend on rather costly devices to map the monitor output.
That is great for professional work, but not needed by most of us. The
topic has been discussed often in this NG. Look in google groups. Also,
some image editing programs include software for the purpose. But none that
I know of are sophisticated enough to automatically do what you ask for.
Paint Shop Pro has an automatic photo enhancement applet that does a pretty
good job, though I often have to touch up its result.