Guide Lines for Phhotographing Railroad Employees

Old October 30th 03, 07:43 PM
Tim

Default Guide Lines for Phhotographing Railroad Employees

Hi All I'm a New Railroad Photogrtapher Who Specalizing in Railroad
Employees & Equipment And I was wandering what sort of Guidlines I
should use when photographing the Employees of The Local Area
Railroads.

Old October 30th 03, 10:38 PM
JustaPawn

I was wandering what sort of Guidlines I
should use when photographing the Employees of The Local Area
Railroads.

Stay off the tracks when the train is passing...
Old October 31st 03, 04:59 AM
stan

What do you mean by guidelines? I don't understand exactly what your
asking. but I'm also very tired.
Stan
Visual Arts Photography

Old November 3rd 03, 04:26 AM
stan

Tim wrote:

(Tim) wrote in message om...
Hi All I'm a New Railroad Photogrtapher Who Specalizing in Railroad
Employees & Equipment And I was wandering what sort of Guidlines I
should use when photographing the Employees of The Local Area
Railroads.

What I Meen is a Guide of What to shoot, What to Ask, What Zooms to
use, Light Filters, Weather Conditions, and were to shoot from sence
it is Illegal to be on Rail Properity
I NEVER SHOW THE Employees Face in My work(Or I try not to Because It
Goes agianst their Poloces and It aint a good Idea To **** off the RR
Because They have top notch lawlyers and the money to sue Me into the
stone ages

I have had 2 altercations with railway security. One they threatened to take my film and when I called
there bluff they backed down, the other was a little discussion and they left. I was shooting from
public land. I know how you feel. My personal project involves old railroad towns. Some still have
stops and others don't even have railroads going through them anymore. I use B&W film or color print
(type and speed of film depends on what feel I'm looking for and what the light conditions are). I
seldom filter anything I shoot, unless it's a polarizer to cut down on glare on the equipment (trains
etc.) or glass. I shoot with a fully manual Nikon F3 and a 20mm, 50mm, and 70-200 f2.8. I don't shoot
in the rain because I don't have to, but other than that I shoot any time of day or dusk that I feel
will give me what I want. If I were shooting inside the train cars as a passenger I would use B&W film
and a slight wide angle (35mm maybe) with no filtration. Security issues may be the toughest for you.
Good Luck in your shooting. Hope this helps.
Stan
Visual Arts Photography

Old November 3rd 03, 05:04 AM
Mxsmanic

Tim writes:

Hi All I'm a New Railroad Photogrtapher Who Specalizing in Railroad
Employees & Equipment And I was wandering what sort of Guidlines I
should use when photographing the Employees of The Local Area
Railroads.

If you intend to use their images for commercial purposes, you need
model releases. If they are visibly portrayed as employees of an
identifiable railroad, you'll need releases from the railroad as well
for any commercial use. If you are on railroad property while taking
the pictures, you will need permission from the railroad for that
(although you can wait until they throw you off, if they do); you don't
need permission if you are on public property. Security agents cannot
seize your film or cameras or do anything else except tell you to leave
the property, in any case.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:07 AM
Mxsmanic

Tim writes:

I NEVER SHOW THE Employees Face in My work(Or I try not to Because It
Goes agianst their Poloces and It aint a good Idea To **** off the RR
Because They have top notch lawlyers and the money to sue Me into the
stone ages

The railroad wouldn't have much of a basis for suing you just because
you photographed an employee's face. Neither can the employee. If you
misuse the image, the employee might be able to win a lawsuit, and in a
few cases, the railroad (this mainly concerns non-editorial,
non-informational use).

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Old November 9th 03, 01:18 PM
howard

"stan" wrote in message ...
What do you mean by guidelines? I don't understand exactly what your
asking. but I'm also very tired.

I'm sleepy too.....what's the question again ?