Dust -what solutions are there?

Old January 18th 05, 01:46 PM
Tim

Default Dust -what solutions are there?

I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR. Whilst the Olympus E-300
reviews have not given me much motivation to buy the camera, it has
raised a point that I had not considered before - the question of dust.
(For those who haven't read the reviews, a selling point of the E-300
is a special feature to shake the sensor on startup to remove dust).

So my questions a

1) How often do you need to clean the dust from a DSLR, assuming using
two lenses, and swapping between them regluarly?
2) Is this a home or professional job?
3) If you clean it yourself what equipment do you need? If its a
professional job, what might you pay?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Tim

Old January 18th 05, 03:27 PM
Charlie Self

Tim asks:

I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR. Whilst the Olympus E-300
reviews have not given me much motivation to buy the camera, it has
raised a point that I had not considered before - the question of dust.
(For those who haven't read the reviews, a selling point of the E-300
is a special feature to shake the sensor on startup to remove dust).

So my questions a

1) How often do you need to clean the dust from a DSLR, assuming using
two lenses, and swapping between them regluarly?

I work in dusty environments, including a woodworking shop where 90% of my
photography is done. I have had my Pentax for about seven months now, and
cleaned the sensor once, something I probably didn't really need to do. I swap
between three lenses.

2) Is this a home or professional job?

I did it at home. Up to you.

3) If you clean it yourself what equipment do you need? If its a
professional job, what might you pay?

I use Sensor Swabs and Eclipse cleaner. I need to get a foot pump for air
because my ear syringe doesn't produce sufficient volume.

A lot of what you get on the sensor depends on the environment, but it also
depends on your method and speed of lens changing. I blow off each lens and
mount before installing them, keep the rear lens cover on until I'm ready to
blow the rear of the lens off, then immediately dismount the current lens and
install the new. I then immediately cover the rear of the removed lens (I
already have the rear lens cap in my third hand, don't I?).

And I do NOT change lenses until dust from milling operations has a change to
settle. Worse would be opening up while overspray from finishes is still in the
air.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Old January 18th 05, 04:11 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Tim"

I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR.

1) How often do you need to clean the dust from a DSLR, assuming using
two lenses, and swapping between them regluarly?

With a 10D we had to clean the sensor rarely, maybe once every 3-4 months.

With a 1Ds (much larger sensor area) I have to clean it much more often,
occasionally every two days when used heavily in dusty areas, usually once a
week or so under typical conditions. We often use this camera stopped down for
depth of field though so are more apt to see dust.

With a 1D Mark II I have to clean the sensor maybe once a week when on a long
trip, sometimes less. Rarely use this camera at anything other than wide open
so we are less likely to spot dust.

The entry level models with small sensors aren't as susceptible as the larger
sensor models.

If you shoot at mostly wide open apertures you won't notice dust very often but
once you stop down to small apertures and have medium or light toned areas
(like sky) in your shots you'll see it much more readily.

2) Is this a home or professional job?

You have to learn to do it yourself, takes too long to send off and they often
don't get all the dust anyway.

3) If you clean it yourself what equipment do you need?

One of the Sensor Swabs with Eclipse solution and Pec Pads. Here are typical
links ...

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

I haven't tried "Visible Dust" yet but it seems to do a better job since it
looks like it reduces charge on the sensor and I look forward to using it
instead of the swabs ... a guy I know well said it keeps dust off about 4x
better than using swabs, possibly because it removes static charge from the
sensor.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ble-dust.shtml
http://www.visibledust.com/index.htm

Bill

Old January 18th 05, 04:30 PM
Chris Brown

In article .com,
Tim wrote:

So my questions a

1) How often do you need to clean the dust from a DSLR, assuming using
two lenses, and swapping between them regluarly?

I use lots of lenses (using mostly primes), on a 10D, which I've had since
they came out. I've had to clean the sensor once, and once only.

2) Is this a home or professional job?
3) If you clean it yourself what equipment do you need? If its a
professional job, what might you pay?

Did it at home - simply blew the offending particle off with an air bulb.
Old January 18th 05, 07:33 PM
Dave R knows who

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR. Whilst the Olympus E-300
reviews have not given me much motivation to buy the camera, it has
raised a point that I had not considered before - the question of dust.
(For those who haven't read the reviews, a selling point of the E-300
is a special feature to shake the sensor on startup to remove dust).

So my questions a

1) How often do you need to clean the dust from a DSLR, assuming using
two lenses, and swapping between them regluarly?
2) Is this a home or professional job?
3) If you clean it yourself what equipment do you need? If its a
professional job, what might you pay?

Per other msgs you can do it yourself and how often to clean depends on your
environment and how much care you take changing lenses.

Old January 19th 05, 04:30 AM
Stacey

Tim wrote:

I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR. Whilst the Olympus E-300
reviews have not given me much motivation to buy the camera,

Shame people can't use their own minds...
--

Stacey
Old January 20th 05, 02:03 AM
Jimmy Smith

I bought all the necessary stuff to "swab" the sensor and also a Giatto
rubber blower bulb for $9. I blew the sensor off with the bulb and it
cleaned the dust off completely. So far have needed the swabs. It seemed
so intimidating. Now, it's no big deal. So I mess up the sensor some day.
Who cares anyway?!

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 05, 03:19 AM
Bernard P. Fife

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:53:45 GMT, Confused
mumbled:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:30:55 -0500
In message
Stacey wrote:

Shame people can't use their own minds...

Isn't that the truth!

I tried to use mine...big mistake. ;^)

I thought I thought it through and decided to get a P-2000.
Today there isn't one to be found anywhere and Epson have removed it's
availability status from their online store. (I'm trying to invoke
Murphey's Law here so they will become available again.

As to the OP:

I use a large hand-squeeze blower when I see dust blobs on the
sensor show up in photos. A little common sense comes into play here.
Don't use canned air, and don't blow away the dust in a dirty or damp
environment.

"A mind is a great thing to try to use..." Jeff

"I try to think.. but nothing happens."

says Curly Howard

Old January 24th 05, 05:55 PM
Roger

Stacey wrote:

Shame people can't use their own minds...

Isn't that the truth!

I tried to use mine...big mistake. ;^)

I thought I thought it through and decided to get a P-2000.

A P2000? That was a trade name too although it could have expired by
now.

One of the companies I used to work for had control rooms full of
them. I think we paid about a quarter million each. Rack mount, and
took up about two racks wide and 6' high. The I/O was 4 more
cabinets.:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com