Jerk "pro" photographers

Old July 26th 04, 03:43 PM

Default Jerk "pro" photographers

Hi, I need to vent a little.
I just returned from Grand Teton National Park and had a
wonderful time, spectacular weather (meaning a great storm
then clearing clouds to make it interesting). I saw moose
every day, along with deer, elk coyotes, bald eagles,
osprey, etc. I was imaging with my 4x5 and with
digital from wide to long telephoto.

Multiple times, other amateurs would generally ask if they
were in the way of a shot, or if they were, they all quickly
moved when I said something. Everyone was very nice.

Except "The Pro."

I was at Oxbow Bend the morning after the storm, I with
clearing fog and clouds just after sunrise. It was one
of the prettiest mornings I've ever seen there, and
I've seen dozens. I had the 4x5 set up very close
to the bushes, so there is plenty of room all around and
there are only a couple of other people there.

Two women stop, and approach my area.
One is dressed very nice, the other has a camera in here
hand (looked like a high-end 35mm body). She points to a
spot in front of my camera. I have the dark slide pulled on
the 4x5 and am ready to trip the shutter. These two
people move into the camera field of view,
which was relatively narrow as I was using a 210mm lens.
I explained that they were in my field of view and I
was about the take a picture. The woman with the camera
said:

"I am a professional photographer and am getting paid to do
a shoot."

I said "common courtesy would say you should wait until I
am done. There are plenty of spots to photograph here."

She responded: "This is a public park and I am a professional,
I can go where I want."

They proceeded to stay in my field of view while she
photographed the other woman. She would not give me her
name. I called her a jerk and said no real professional
photographer would act this way.

I had to wait until they were finished before I could
shoot again. Fortunately, the clouds and light were
not changing fast, so I got good images, just not one
of those I was planning.

They continued shooting at other places along Oxbow Bend
so it shows that my spot was not the only location,
even for the "pro."

While I did not let the incident ruin my day, I wonder what
I might have done differently. Next time, as soon as there
might appear to be a problem, I think I will act interested
that they are a pro and get their name and a card before
a confrontation starts. Do "pros" shooting models need
a license in the park? I would report them to the park
service, but I don't think it would do any good.

Roger
http://www.clarkvision.com

Old July 26th 04, 04:18 PM
Al Denelsbeck

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
:

said:

[...]

For commercial uses, I believe they might.

But that isn't necessary. Just walk into the middle of her shot and
stand there. Smile and wave ;-)

The other rejoinder is that *you're* a professional mercenary. But
you'll do work on spec from time to time.

Both of these are nice after-the-fact responses, though. If it
happened to me, knowing my reactions to self-centeredness and snobbism
(which generally is, "I can top that, if that's the game"), I'd probably
simply say, "Yeah, so am I. Get the **** out of my shot."

And no, she wasn't a pro. Not by most people's definitions, and
certainly not if she was traveling unassisted and without reflectors,
makeup, a change of clothes or three, yadda blah... I'm not a pro either,
but I'm a damn sight closer than she is!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 26th 04, 07:26 PM
Angela M. Cable

said:

"I am a professional photographer and am getting paid to do
a shoot."

I said "common courtesy would say you should wait until I
am done. There are plenty of spots to photograph here."

She responded: "This is a public park and I am a professional,
I can go where I want."

If it makes you feel any better they probably weren't Wyomingites. In
fact it sound like the attitude that comes off all those bloody, have
more money than sense Californians that have invaded the area in the
last twenty years or so. Autumn before last I was up there driving along
and happened upon a spot where a part of the Tetons was framed just
perfectly by fall color. Slammed on the brakes, pulled over, jumped out.
A couple that was jogging approaches and stood there and *waited* while
I made my shot. We chatted and I thanked them. They were from Wyoming.

They proceeded to stay in my field of view while she
photographed the other woman. She would not give me her
name. I called her a jerk and said no real professional
photographer would act this way.

Now me, I'm a complete bitch when it comes to rude people. I'd have
gotten her license plate to find out just who the hell she was. Probably
I'd find a way to make her miserable depending upon how long I stayed
mad. Report her to the park. If it turned out she really was a pro, I'd
find out if she were online and where she hung out to let her friends
and clients know how she behaves "professionally". I also agree with the
other poster. I'd have gotten in her shots and told her to FO if she
complained.

--
Angela M. Cable
Neocognition, digital scrapbooking source:

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com/

5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and mo
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/

Old July 26th 04, 10:16 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in message ...
Hi, I need to vent a little.

Ha ha ha. Pro photogs are the biggest assholes there are...

Old July 27th 04, 01:22 PM
Paul Schmidt

said:

"I am a professional photographer and am getting paid to do
a shoot."

I said "common courtesy would say you should wait until I
am done. There are plenty of spots to photograph here."

She responded: "This is a public park and I am a professional,
I can go where I want."

Yes some "pro" photographers are jerks, but there are probably just as
many, who would want a look through the 4x5, when your done your shot,
and might even have a few ideas for other shots, heck some of them have
never seen a 4x5! It depends on if the "pro" is an artist at heart or
not and if they like their job or not. Sounds like this woman was a
point and shooter, who wanted to hurry through a job.....

Interesting point though, you should check with the parks department, in
some places professionals need a permit, in order to take photos. This
is because it is public property, for which maintenance and upkeep is
paid by the tax payer, and professionals making money on it, need to
share their profits. If you know that someone needs a permit, then when
you get this situation, you ask to see their permit, if they don't have
one, tell them to get lost. They want to argue it, then argue it, in
front of a park ranger.

Paul

Old July 27th 04, 03:20 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"

She responded: "This is a public park and I am a professional,
I can go where I want."

She's right. And I'll bet that about 6 feet behind her model would
be just a great place to take a picture from. Be sure to scatter photo
equipment far and wide. And hang your jacket and hat on the nearby
shrubs.

It's sheer bloody-mindedness that wins the day.

On the other hand, there is no gain in trying to out-asshole a
real asshole.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com