travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches

Old December 18th 04, 06:16 PM
drwxr-xr-x

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:10:24 -0700, Roger N. Clark wrote:
About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
I've carried these for a couple of years without a
problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
"New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
allen wrenches were banned.

So don't take any tools on board any more.

Roger

I've been through The Illusion Of Security at DIA many times, as well.
Many confiscations are capricious and arbitrary. If you try to
stand your ground, you'll be subjected to a 10-15 search of
yourself and your carry-on luggage. Furthermore, every airport
seems to make up their own "local" rules.

I've had my nail clippers taken, when, as you point out, they
are permitted. And, as for tools, except for the thugs working
for the TSA, all of us have opposable thumbs, and EVERYTHING
is a potential tool.

The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.

So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

Old December 18th 04, 06:46 PM
Marvin Margoshes

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
[...]

TSA's Web site has a list of items you can't carry on. Some people doing
the checking seem to make up their own rules. Feel free to complain.

Old December 18th 04, 06:54 PM
C J Campbell

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
want...

Bah! Clogging up the roads with yet another automobile, endangering
everybody around you while you in turn are at the mercy of every drunk
driver and vehicle operator who just had a fight with his wife, dodging 18
wheelers on icy roads -- next thing you know you've run into a school bus
full of children, one of whom would have grown up to discover a cure for
cancer, but now he's dead and IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Beast. :-)

(I dunno, was that over the top, or what?)

Seriously, I find flying to be very convenient, fast and comfortable. If I
want to visit the grandchildren I can be there in 3 1/2 hours, instead of 11
hours of driving over two major mountain passes in winter. And I get some
great photos out of the trip, too. Sigh Even so I still have trouble
finding time to get away.

Old December 18th 04, 06:56 PM
C J Campbell

"drwxr-xr-x" wrote in message

The Dept Of Homeland Hysteria has been a god-send for the airport
thieves. Now they have multi-million dollar machines with which
to pin-point luggage that contains gold jewelry, expensive cameras,
und so weiter. No more randomly breaking into bags, in the hope
of hitting the jackpot. These thieves are only required to go
through security and metal detectors _on the way in to work_ , not
on the way out -- with their pockets jingling with stolen articles.

So sayeth the voice of several wretched experiences...

You would be shocked at how many people at TSA have criminal records.

Old December 18th 04, 07:00 PM
C J Campbell

"Marvin Margoshes" wrote in message

TSA's Web site has a list of items you can't carry on. Some people doing
the checking seem to make up their own rules. Feel free to complain.

The list contains disclaimers which allow local examiners to make up their
own rules. If, in the sole opinion of the checker, you are carrying
something that could be used as a weapon, then they can confiscate it, fine
you, or even have you arrested. If you complain, that is a bad attitude,
which automatically doubles your fine and tacks time on your sentence. Read
the guidelines for civil actions. It actually says that.