Sad news for film-based photography

Old September 22nd 04, 04:16 AM
Stacey

Ronald Shu wrote:

Aavo Koort, the president of Channel City Camera Club sent a message to
all members about the future of film-based photography. It is a very
interesting article, pretty sad though. Please read on. Your
feedback/input are welcome.

Good God!!! Thanx for posting this!!!!

All my film cameras are going on ebay tonight and I'm buying the newest
digital camera I can find, which one is the best this week? Thank GOD we
have digital cameras!!!!

--

Stacey

Old September 22nd 04, 04:44 AM
William Graham

"jjs" wrote in message
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Alan Browne" wrote

Dan Rather will apologize for everyone shortly (while deflecting
responsibility).

I always claimed that man was irresponsible.

Amazing that he got away with his crap for so long. Payback. It's a bitch.

Well, don't forget that he is going to be 73 next month.....He should
retire. The job is just too demanding for someone that old......

Old September 22nd 04, 04:47 AM
William Graham

"m II" wrote in message
They could have bombed all those US airports that gave training to the
9-11 hijackers.......

Airports don't, "give training."... People give training.......

Old September 22nd 04, 09:05 AM
Bob Salomon

"jjs" wrote:

"Böwzér" wrote in message
This is total BS...

The best archival storage does not have the liability of requiring
electricity to keep it alive and lasts a couple hundred years. Figure it
out. I'll count to three. One....Two... (GET IT YET?)

Then just how do you maintain cold dark storage at a constant humidity?
Deep dark caves or a ride it yourself generator?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old September 22nd 04, 01:00 PM
jjs

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message

Then just how do you maintain cold dark storage at a constant humidity?

Sealed containers containing adequately dried air before sealing, stored in
a cool place is all that's neccessary to outlast current digital media. No
electricity required.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:53 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, jjs posted:

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message

Then just how do you maintain cold dark storage at a constant
humidity?

Sealed containers containing adequately dried air before sealing,
stored in a cool place is all that's neccessary to outlast current
digital media. No electricity required.

You don't even have to go that far to outlast current digital media.

Archiving of any physical object is a challenge, as entropy is a constant.
But, beyond the physical degradation that will affect digital media as
well as film, you have many other factors. Obsolescence of the media,
obsolescence of the media's format (8" floppies are less than 30 years
old), and obsolescence of the data format also work against reliable
archiving with digital media.

Neil