The D300 is for the Birds

Old March 2nd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default The D300 is for the Birds

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 3rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Roy Smith

In article 2008030215383650073-christophercampbell@hotmailcom,
C J Campbell wrote:

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008

You seem to have lots of nice toys for a flight instructor. You must have
a higher class of students than was ever able to attract :-)

What lens did you use? The info says 650mm.
Old March 3rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

C J Campbell wrote:

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008

You seem to have lots of nice toys for a flight instructor. You must have
a higher class of students than was ever able to attract :-)

What lens did you use? The info says 650mm.

I was a retired CPA before I became a flight instructor. Unfortunately,
I am not currently flying. My flight physical last Friday did not go so
well. So now the FAA will probably want all kinds of cardiac tests
before they give me a special issuance.

Anyway, the lens is a 400mm f/2.8 VR with a TCE II 1.7x teleconverter.

Old March 3rd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Roy Smith

C J Campbell wrote:

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008

You seem to have lots of nice toys for a flight instructor. You must have
a higher class of students than was ever able to attract :-)

What lens did you use? The info says 650mm.

I was a retired CPA before I became a flight instructor. Unfortunately,
I am not currently flying. My flight physical last Friday did not go so
well. So now the FAA will probably want all kinds of cardiac tests
before they give me a special issuance.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope things work out. I'm on a bit of a
sabbatical myself. I finally got fed up with my club about a year ago and
took a vacation. Let my medical lapse in September, and I'm still trying
to figure out if I want to get back in or not.

Anyway, the lens is a 400mm f/2.8 VR with a TCE II 1.7x teleconverter.

Ah, that makes sense.
Old March 3rd 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
OG

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008
--

Thanks for the photos.

Am I being fussy in commenting that the gallery interface is really very
unpleasant?

Takes a long time for the initial load; shows little more than a large
thumbnail and you have to download the photos to get a decent look. I
thought the world of mac was supposed to be really good at interfaces

Old March 3rd 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-02 17:02:00 -0800, "OG" said:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008
--

Thanks for the photos.

Am I being fussy in commenting that the gallery interface is really very
unpleasant?

Takes a long time for the initial load; shows little more than a large
thumbnail and you have to download the photos to get a decent look. I
thought the world of mac was supposed to be really good at interfaces

I kind of wonder about that. This is a new type of web page created by
Aperture 2.0. Although it has some new features which were badly needed
(such as a means to navigate home) your comments are worth following up
on.

The gallery can be set to allow others to upload pictures, but I have
not turned that feature on. Might be even slower.

Old March 3rd 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-02 17:20:20 -0800, "Rita Berkowitz" said:

C J Campbell wrote:

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008

Nice photos, but I'm curious of why they lack so much detail? The ISO seems
low enough to not be the culprit. Bad TC? How's the lens without the TC?
Did you check and see if that lens/TC combo might need a tweaking in the AF
Fine adjust?

Rita

I will take a look at that.

Old March 3rd 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-02 17:20:20 -0800, "Rita Berkowitz" said:

C J Campbell wrote:

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008

Nice photos, but I'm curious of why they lack so much detail? The ISO seems
low enough to not be the culprit. Bad TC? How's the lens without the TC?
Did you check and see if that lens/TC combo might need a tweaking in the AF
Fine adjust?

Rita

You know, that teleconverter was also used on a D200 and the 70-200
f/2.8 VR with the swans and barn picture and it shows the same lack of
detail. Could be something wrong with the teleconverter. Both lenses
seem sharper (in other pictures) without the teleconverter.

Old March 3rd 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
"OG" wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjcampbell#100008
--

Thanks for the photos.

Am I being fussy in commenting that the gallery interface is really very
unpleasant?

Takes a long time for the initial load; shows little more than a large
thumbnail and you have to download the photos to get a decent look. I
thought the world of mac was supposed to be really good at interfaces

the interface works for me, how old is your browser& computer?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old March 3rd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message

Nice photos, but I'm curious of why they lack so much detail? The
ISO seems low enough to not be the culprit. Bad TC? How's the
lens without the TC? Did you check and see if that lens/TC combo
might need a tweaking in the AF Fine adjust?

You know, that teleconverter was also used on a D200 and the 70-200
f/2.8 VR with the swans and barn picture and it shows the same lack
of detail. Could be something wrong with the teleconverter. Both
lenses
seem sharper (in other pictures) without the teleconverter.

Are these straight out of the camera or processed raw shots? I do see
these appear to be in AbobeRGB, which will tend to lose some
saturation/snap when viewed in a non-color managed app like many
browsers in my experience.

I'm more inclined to believe this is optical related. He's just going to
have to experiment with the TC and AF Fine Tune. One thing I have found
out
is when I shoot with a 2X TC it is better to keep VR off as this results
in
much sharper images. I'm not saying this is his problem, but he will
figure
it out quickly with a little trial and error.

I thought I had a problem with the focus , back or front, but it turned out
I had the A3 menu set to 51 3D, while I shot single. This doesn't work and
it looks like you have back or front focus. I set it to normal 51 point and
the problem was gone.
Tested it with the following lenses:
18-55
55-200
50 1.8
18-135

They all had the same problem, but none after using the 51 point without 3D.
I found it somewhere an a forum.

Also I might add, standard the D300 has very low sharpness and saturation; I
cranked it up to 9 sharpness and +1 saturation. Works great for nature, but
not so good for portrait ;-) (you see all wrinkles..)

--
Sosumi

--
Sosumi