Another Pentax K10D question

Old September 25th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Olin K. McDaniel

Default Another Pentax K10D question

Having recently gotten some very helpful replies to an earlier
question re this camera (new to me), I thought I'd see if anyone has a
suggestion to this one.

Since I use this camera primarily in very long telephoto shots, like
thru a spotting scope, etc., focus of the scope plus the camera is
quite critical. And that tiny little viewfinder is far less than
adequate for this degree of criticality, especially for someone
wearing prescription eyeglasses. The same degree of critical focusing
exists when I use one of several Nikon CoolPix cameras, but with them
I've learned to take the Video out to a portable battery powered TV
for more precise evaluation of the focus. Much to my disappointment,
I discovered this DSLR (as with most DSLRs) does not allow Video out
except in Playback mode. Thus, it's useless for a focusing aid.

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

Pentax are you listening, too?

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."
Old September 25th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
upgrade.

However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.

See he
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

Old September 25th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Roberts

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it?

I don't think it can be done with video out but connecting the camera
to a laptop computer and using the Pentax Remote Assistant software
may do what you want.

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

Old September 25th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Olin K. McDaniel

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:18:20 +0100, Alex Monro
wrote:

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
upgrade.

However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.

See he
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

Thanks, Alex,

Just a couple of hours after I posted my original question, I happened
upon a post by John Turco on another subject. He has a Pentax K100D
which is a less expensive (and less featured version of this K10D I
believe) and he dropped a hint that I spotted. I followed up and
tried out what he described this morning.

Turns out, there is a feature in both these models called "Digital
Preview", and I had failed to examine it in the 3 months since owning
mine. This feature ALMOST gives me what I want, but it's really what
I call a "Trial and Error" method, NOT one that allows continuously
seeing the changes made while manually focusing the lens (this being
the spotting scope, while the camera is set to Infinity). That's the
way I shoot all my stuff thru this scope, BTW. This "Digital Preview"
really is their trick for one to shoot a pic, without recording it
onto the memory card, but allowing you up to 60 seconds to examine it
on the LCD screen. It does have a plus, in that while you are
examining it, you can enlarge or zoom up to see the details. That's
all well and good, IF the subject doesn't change position, or worse,
leave the area while you are messing with the focus and taking the
trial shots until satisfied.

Maybe Pentax cannot revise their firmware to provide what I need, but
they already come close. The mirror is up, etc. and I'm doing all the
focusing myself. The camera isn't having to do that. So I wonder if
carrying their feature a little further is unattainable?

Olin

Old September 25th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Olin K. McDaniel

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:32:17 GMT, Mark Roberts
wrote:

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it?

I don't think it can be done with video out but connecting the camera
to a laptop computer and using the Pentax Remote Assistant software
may do what you want.

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com
412-687-2835

Thanks Mark

Please see my other post, responding to this subject, just sent out a
couple of moments ago.

I have an ancient laptop, which needs its battery replaced, but other
than that it should work. I say should, haven't messed with it in
over 2 years, though. I'm not familiar with the Pentax Remote
Assistant software, but will look for it. Any suggestion there will
be appreciated.

Olin

Old September 26th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Somebody

"Alex Monro" wrote in message
Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Recently, I saw an ad or announcement for a new DSLR (maybe a Canon)
that DOES allow such Video out before taking the shot. Is it possible
that this Pentax can be modified or have the firmware altered to allow
this feature with it? I suspect not, but can still hope, can't I?
After all, this one does allow the Mirror to be locked up, so why
can't the sensor image be fed out then for focusing purposes?

The live view feature is fundamentally integrated into the camera
design, requiring special facilities for mirror up, noise reduction,
focussing and metering, so it's unlikely to be available as a firmware
upgrade.

However, you may find that an improved focussing screen may be helpful.

See he
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

What exactly do these do that the one that comes in the camera doesn't?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Somebody!

Old September 26th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Somebody wrote:

"Alex Monro" wrote in message
Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

[...]

You get mircoprism and split-prism focusing, which the cameras in
question don't have. It makes it easier to do accurate manual focussing.

Which, of course, has nothing to do with anything anyone was talking
about. :-)

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old September 26th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Somebody

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
Somebody wrote:

"Alex Monro" wrote in message
Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

Somebody!

Old September 26th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Benton Harper[_2_]

wrote:

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

[...]

Sure it is.

Nearly every P&S camera has that feature. Putting it into a dslr with all the
immensely useful P&S viewfinder capabilities intact and functional is a whole
other matter though. Can your live-preview display the motion-blur of slow
shutter-speed effects? Or show you the crisp outlines of a hummingbird's wings
or helicopter blade as you crank up the shutter speed fast enough to stop their
motion? Can it automatically gain up the brightness in extremely low-light
settings to help with focusing and composition in conditions far dimmer than can
be seen in any optical viewfinder, or to show you DOF effects without having to
dim the display beyond use while pushing an extra button? If not, then it can't
do what nearly all P&S cameras can do all the time.

I suppose in a few generations they'll make dslrs just as capable and
feature-packed as P&S cameras, one day. You can only hope. But they'll probably
charge you over $10,000 for what has already been available on every $500 or
less P&S camera for many many years now.

walking away, shaking head, from silly dslr people ....

Ah .... back to the land of sanity .....
Old September 26th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Roberts

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

I have an ancient laptop, which needs its battery replaced, but other
than that it should work. I say should, haven't messed with it in
over 2 years, though. I'm not familiar with the Pentax Remote
Assistant software, but will look for it. Any suggestion there will
be appreciated.

The software can be found at
http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...softId=8793673
(about half way down the page)

Your K10D will need to have firmware v1.30 (download that at
http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...firmId=8793673
if your camera has earlier firmware)