Improved performance of Canon Pixma iP 4300....

Old March 20th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Default Improved performance of Canon Pixma iP 4300....

I have the Canon Pixma iP 4300 for more than 3 months.I was using
exclusively HP paper with it(4 X 5"), the highest quality, 17 euros for 100
sheets with a 128 MB USB stick for free...But the photos came up grainy,
like a Tmax 3200 negative push processed to iso 12800 with D-76...My sister
bought me some canon photo paper plus glossy, 4 euros for 40 sheets (4 X 5
")and the photos came up perfect, to see some grain you have to touch your
nose to the print.(Of course the paper is made in japan, too)..So, it's a
good printer after all.So, maybe you have to match the printer to the paper?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old March 20th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bates

On Mar 20, 9:09 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios"
wrote:
I have the Canon Pixma iP 4300 for more than 3 months.I was using
exclusively HP paper with it(4 X 5"), the highest quality, 17 euros for 100
sheets with a 128 MB USB stick for free...But the photos came up grainy,
like a Tmax 3200 negative push processed to iso 12800 with D-76...My sister
bought me some canon photo paper plus glossy, 4 euros for 40 sheets (4 X 5
")and the photos came up perfect, to see some grain you have to touch your
nose to the print.(Of course the paper is made in japan, too)..So, it's a
good printer after all.So, maybe you have to match the printer to the paper?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

I'm a big fan of the Canon paper too, however, here in Canada at
least, the paper from Costo (Kirkland) is amazing stuff and quite a
bit cheaper. You gett 125 sheets of 8.5x11" paper for around $20CDN.
I belive from comparing it, that it is probably actually Ilford paper
(it is made in Switzerland). The 4x6 paper is not as good but still
decent (made in US so probably another supplier) and I hear that
Costco may switch the larger paper to the US supplier soon - but for
now, all the paper is still from Switzerland and it is really
excellent. That's on my Canon i960.

Bates.....

Old March 20th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

wrote:

[...]

I also like the Kirkland paper, which my employer buys for my i960; at
home I use, and see no difference in, Ilford paper from Sam's club in
my IP4000.

Paul B.

Old March 20th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oliver Costich

wrote:
[...]

The Swiss Costco paper is gone. It probably was Ilford as it printed
great with the Ilford Smooth Gloss profile for my printer. I haven't
been able to find out who is making the new Costco paper. I hope it's
not Kodak.
Old March 21st 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bates

wrote:
[...]

I heard that too - but here in Canada (well Toronto at least) it's
still the Swiss stuff (just bought 6 boxes in case the rumours are
true though....)

Bates.....

Old March 21st 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
I have the Canon Pixma iP 4300 for more than 3 months.I was using
exclusively HP paper with it(4 X 5"), the highest quality, 17 euros for 100
sheets with a 128 MB USB stick for free...But the photos came up grainy,
like a Tmax 3200 negative push processed to iso 12800 with D-76...My sister
bought me some canon photo paper plus glossy, 4 euros for 40 sheets (4 X 5
")and the photos came up perfect, to see some grain you have to touch your
nose to the print.(Of course the paper is made in japan, too)..So, it's a
good printer after all.So, maybe you have to match the printer to the paper?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Here in the USA, I use HP Premium Plus paper with my HP 8200 printer,
buying only the boxes marked Switzerland. The Boxes marked USA contain
paper that is not as good as the Swiss stuff.
Whatever paper you use, keep in mind that only inkjet papers with a
thick ink-absorbing resin layer have longterm stability and fade resistance.

Good luck.

Morton

Old March 21st 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

I also like some Felix Schoeller "Compu color"A4 german paper, which cost 25
euros for 50 sheets, and is quite nice.