Possible Newbie Question

Old July 12th 04, 02:18 AM
Christian Kolinski

Default Possible Newbie Question

MATT WILLIAMS wrote:
So in taking pictures on location I would need numerous film holders
preloaded with the undeveloped film ?

Yes.

You could try if you can change film in a dark bag.

For some cameras there are backs which can be filled with
several films. Look for Grafmatic (Graflex, 6 films).

Or you could have a look at Fujis Quickload or the Kodak
version Readyload but this requires special film holders.

Chris
Old July 12th 04, 03:29 AM
Tom

The short answer is, yes. OTOH you do not usually shoot as many negatives with
large format as you do with roll film or 35mm. You might start out with 3
holders (6 shots).

You transfer the film from the box to the holders, and the exposed film from the
holders to an empty film box in a darkroom, or in a changing bag.

--

MATT WILLIAMS wrote:
If I am using 4x5 sheet film on
location do I need a lot of film holders that have been preloaded before to
shoot more than one shot.

Since I do not plan on doing my own developing how
do you get the negatives/slides to the lab ? Thanks. Matt

Old July 12th 04, 04:22 AM
CamArtsMag

We have several free articles on our web site that might be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

including one on film holders

steve simmons
Old July 12th 04, 04:24 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 7/11/2004 5:30 PM MATT WILLIAMS spake thus:

I am familiar with medium format, but know nothing about large format. I am
thinking about renting or purchasing a used large format camera to see if I
like it. However, I have a few questions. If I am using 4x5 sheet film on
location do I need a lot of film holders that have been preloaded before to
shoot more than one shot. Since I do not plan on doing my own developing how
do you get the negatives/slides to the lab ? Thanks. Matt

You've already gotten the basic answer here, so I'll just add one more factor
to the equation. The subject of loading film holders on location (using a
changing bag) came up, meaning loading your holders in the field from a box of
film, rather than pre-loading all your holders in the darkroom.

It's possible to do this, yet, but BAD IDEA. Why? One word: DUST.

When you're dealing with sheet film, remember that DUST IS YOUR MORTAL ENEMY.
Each dust particle will leave behind a little unexposed spot on your film
where it blocks the light (and therefore a black spot on the print, assuming
you're using negative film). You're far more likely to get dust when loading
anywhere but a spankin' clean darkroom.

Just to show you how difficult this to deal with, I'm getting back into large
format myself (4x5), and I have yet to make *one single shot* that doesn't
have dust marks on it. If you find some magic way to deal with this problem,
please let us know here.

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky

Old July 13th 04, 04:10 AM
Ted Harris

Fuji has Astia, Provia, Velvia, Acros 100, RTP II,NPL NPS available in
Quickloads. Kodak has Tmax 100, 160VC, E100G, E100GX, E100VCS, EPN, EPP, and
EPY ...... while it is not all the emulsions available in 4x5 sheets it is
definitely not limiting.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire
Old July 13th 04, 05:18 AM
MATT WILLIAMS

Both sites don't seem to be working. One is not up and running and the other
says it is for sale. Any other sites ? Thanks for all the info.
"Vladamir30" wrote in message
.com...
So what is a "Readyload ?"

Kodak and Fuji both sell certain of their films in light-tight envelopes,
one sheet of film per envelope. Kodak calls their film packaged this way
"Readyload," Fuji calls theirs "Quickload" but they both work the same

way.
You buy or rent the required special holder and a box or two of Readyloads
or Quickloads (20 Readyload envelopes to a box). To make a photograph you
put the holder in the camera the same way you put a normal holder in the
camera, insert an envelope in the holder, follow the instructions, then
remove the envelope after the picture is made and take the envelopes to

your
lab when you're ready. No need to worry about dust, no need to worry about
film changing bag, no need to buy and carry a lot of film holders around
with you. Very convenient, especially for someone like you who is just
testing the large format waters..

The two downsides are film cost (about double the cost of plain sheet

film)
and the fact that not all Kodak and Fuji films are available in Readyload

or
Quickload form. The only Kodak black and white film you can buy in
Readyloads is T Max 100, I don't know about color films or Fuji films

since
I don't use them but I know the selection is limited. Light leaks used to

problem with Readyloads but Kodak changed the system around a couple years
ago and this seems to have eliminated the problem.

If you pursue this do some reading about holders and holder compatibility
with different brands. A good place to go is www.paulbutzi.com or maybe

it's
just www.butzi.com, that site discusses holders and compatability.

"MATT WILLIAMS" wrote in message
So what is a "Readyload ?"
"jjs" wrote in message

"MATT WILLIAMS" wrote in message
So in taking pictures on location I would need numerous film holders
preloaded with the undeveloped film ?

No. You could use a changing bag or Readyloads. The later means only

one
film holder. A good idea.

Old July 13th 04, 05:31 PM
Vladamir30

Kodak has Tmax 100, 160VC, E100G, E100GX, E100VCS, EPN, EPP, and
EPY ...... while it is not all the emulsions available in 4x5 sheets it is
definitely not limiting.

If you're a black and white photographer who doesn't like T Max 100 and
doesn't care to pay $3 per sheet for Acros it's more than limiting, it's
non-existent.

Old July 13th 04, 05:38 PM
Vladamir30

Both sites don't seem to be working. One is not up and running and the
other
says it is for sale. Any other sites ? Thanks for all the info.

It's www.butzi.net rather than .com.

news