Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

Old November 16th 05, 02:46 PM
ship

Default Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

Hi

I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).

It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
[ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]

Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!

There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.

Whereas on my Hard disk
1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.

Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
about 49% !!!

- Is this normal?

- Am I doing anything wrong?

- Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
take hours & hours!)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S. I am using Windows2000

Old November 16th 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ship wrote:
[...]

You can analyse the disk with my ShowMan program:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/s...k.html#ShowMan

Select between: allocated, nominal and slack space.

A quick sum suggests wasted space is 1GB / 41000 files, or 24KB per file.
If you have formatted the drive FAT-16, then the cluster size is 32KB, so
on average you would expect a waster space of 16KB per file, but if the
majority your files are small ones (less than 16KB), then the wasted space
could be more, up to a maximum of 32767 bytes for a 1-byte file.

Try formatting FAT-32 instead.

David

Old November 16th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs

Yeah I'm pretty sure it IS the real thing - it came in Corsair
packaging etc.
which I bought from Micro Direct (in the UK.)
Though I'm not completely sure how to check?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

[BnH] wrote:
You sure its the real thing ?
not some steroid pumped Sony 2 GB Micro vault ?

oups.com...

Old November 16th 05, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Try formatting FAT-32 instead

Like er any idea how to do that?!

I tried reinstalling the utility that came with it but it kept crashing
and finally I got Windows(2000 Pro) to do it for me...

Are there any recent updates of the Utility for Windows2000 ?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old November 16th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ship wrote:
Try formatting FAT-32 instead

Like er any idea how to do that?!

I tried reinstalling the utility that came with it but it kept
crashing and finally I got Windows(2000 Pro) to do it for me...

Are there any recent updates of the Utility for Windows2000 ?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Type "help format" at the command prompt.

FORMAT volume /FS:FAT32

David

Old November 16th 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Okay thanks I'll try that...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old November 16th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I thought it was going to work but then after I copied my mailbox.pst
over
it suddenly started giving I/O errors.

So I have reformatted with the "Corsair Flash Voyager Utility" (having
downloaded and reinstalled it). After MUCH hassle and archiving
have managed to compress my data down to
1.07 GB (1,153,020,975 bytes) which takes up
1.35 GB (1,457,389,568 bytes) on the Flash drive
(That's 13,385 files in 563 folders, fwiw.)
- i.e about 20.7% wasted.

Btw, how can I work out what type of formatting is in place on the
Flash drive - it's definitely FAT but 16 or 32...?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old November 17th 05, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

ship wrote:
[]
Btw, how can I work out what type of formatting is in place on the
Flash drive - it's definitely FAT but 16 or 32...?

Ship,

I don't have a FAT-32 disk here to check, but either:

CHKDSK volume

and see what the "type of file system" and "allocation unit size" say

or:

right-click the disk, Properties. See what "File system" type is
reported.

More complex:
Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management

will list the file system for all drives.

David