Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

Old January 15th 18, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

- Big Al wrote:

but if you output to raster which is what to do when you create a bitmap
JPG or BMP. You will get a ragged-edge pixelated image

But can't you lessen that by changing the dpi to something like 600
instead of the 72dpi most images are for screen resolution?

If that's true (and Jonathan is the one to answer whether it's true), being
practical, *where* would you raise the DPI value?

In Powerpoint *before* you save as a BMP?
Or in Irfanview *after* you read in the BMP?
Or in Posterazor, the *tiling* program?

I presume in PPT, so I can look for a setting in PPT to change the DPI of a
saved image (does that setting even exist in ppt?).
Old January 15th 18, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10, rec.photo.digital, alt.comp.freeware
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 15, 2018, Big Al wrote
(in article ):

On 01/15/2018 10:45 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
but if you output to raster which is what to do when you create a bitmap
JPG or BMP. You will get a ragged-edge pixelated image

But can't you lessen that by changing the dpi to something like 600
instead of the 72dpi most images are for screen resolution?

Be careful not to conflate, and confuse dpi with ppi.

ppiā‰*dpi.

https://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/

Savageduck

Old January 16th 18, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Jonathan N. Little
wrote:

What we need is a free vector graphics program that easily tiles.
I tried two of them, neither of which tiled easily.

In order to move vector graphics from the realm of theory to the realm of
the real home, we'd need a free vector graphics program that easily tiled.

Which one do people recommend?

You seem to keep trimming my best recommendation.

that's because he's a troll who is not actually interested in learning
anything.
Old January 16th 18, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

On 1/15/2018 10:41 AM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Eco Clean wrote:

Thank you very much for your suggestions. 1) Posterrazor is a keeper
2) Rasterbator is second fiddle to Posterazor
3) Posterizia might work for some people

I have to take issue with your assessment. IMO PosteRazor and Posteriza
are both good and both are better than The Rasterbator.

All three apps are no-install - they need ONLY the .exe files to work -
they don't need the install.exe versions (If they have one).

PosteRazor is the easiest to use right out of the box.

Posteriza has more of a learning curve than the other two but it also
offers more options and offers the most help to the program user - image
previews when choosing a file and a preview of the entire image file
with the print divisions shown when all options have been selected. I
found it easy to use and fast once I'd used it a few times. It was a bit
glitchy when many many changes were made while learning to use it.

Posteriza allows you to add text and/or a frame to the image - the other
two apps do not. PosteRazor and The Rasterbator package their results in
PDF files. Posteriza does NOT create a PDF file that needs to be opened
by another program before you can print the pieces of your image. (I
regard that as a BIG plus.)

A Posteriza file (smallest file & not even needed to print the pieces)
includes the path to the image file. A PosteRazor file (largest file)
includes the original image file in its PDF. A "The Rasterbator" file
(size varies) includes a REVISED version of the image file in its PDF -
that's what it's creating when it "rasterbates".

Eco Clean, for exact size of pieces, I think I'd next try chopping an
image file up in PosteRazor and exporting the pieces from the PDF file
as separate image files that could be printed to exact size in
Irfanview. That would avoid all the fiddling around with units. . .

re the plan below - I shudder to think of creating stencils with an
exacto knive - wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more work than I would want to
contemplate - and then spray pointing - arghhhhhhhhhhh - glad it's you
and not me that will be doing the actual creation of the signs.

Here's the current plan because we decided recently to stick with metal
signs for the longevity in high wind conditions.

The pragmatic approach we'll take is the following, since we have strong
winds, rain, and they need to last a long time.

1) We will design with PowerPoint because we don't see (yet) how the
complexity of a vector-graphics program such as Inkscape adds any value
when it can't tile so the tiler is what's rendering the images, and even
then, the X-acto knife is the final vector-graphics renderer.

2) PowerPoint will save to an image which we will tile using Susan's
suggested Posterazor which easily creates a 4-page PDF so that we don't
have to worry about guessing how to print all four corners of the desired
size as we would have to do with Irfanview or LibreOffice tiling
procedures.

3) Those four tiles will be printed to laser-hardened transparencies, and
taped together to make a stencil after cutting out with an X-acto knife and
then spray painting red on white and maybe adding a clear coat of some sort
on the outside. (Vinyl letters would be nice but at 50 cents each letter,
the cost is astronomical compared to spray paint.)

The hardest part likely will be the spray painting to get crisp edges.

Sisan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org

Old January 16th 18, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Susan Bugher" wrote

| Thank you very much for your suggestions. 1) Posterrazor is a keeper
| 2) Rasterbator is second fiddle to Posterazor
| 3) Posterizia might work for some people
|

| I have to take issue with your assessment. IMO PosteRazor and Posteriza
| are both good and both are better than The Rasterbator.

I tried the first two. I see them as entirely different
programs. Posterazor simply enlarges the image and
sets it up for multi-page printing. Rasterbator is a
pointilizing program, like applying a filter. The points
can be various sizes and colors. It's not designed to
just make a large image. It's designed to make a
stylized, pointilistic poster.

Old January 16th 18, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Jonathan N. Little wrote:

So the goal is not to save to an image format, and just tile out of the
creation program, right?

That would be most ideal. Professional software such as CoreDraw do
drectly, which by the way a large number of the sign maker industry use.

Nobody can disagree that the expensive stuff is better.
The hard part is doing a good job with the free stuff.

I recommend that you design it in LibreOffice, Inkscape, or hell even
PowerPoint! Then export as vector PDF.

I'd *love* to save PowerPoint as "vector PDF".
All I see in Powerpoint 2007 is "PDF" though.

Is "vector PDF" an option only in the newer Powerpoint versions?
Old January 16th 18, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Susan Bugher wrote:

I have to take issue with your assessment. IMO PosteRazor and Posteriza
are both good and both are better than The Rasterbator.

I agree with one of your points, having seen the response from Mayayana,
that Rasterbator is the worst of the three for the job we want.

So we should likely remove Rasterbator from the list.

All three apps are no-install - they need ONLY the .exe files to work -
they don't need the install.exe versions (If they have one).

PosteRazor is the easiest to use right out of the box.

Yes. Agreed. It's the one keeper of the three.

Posteriza has more of a learning curve than the other two but it also
offers more options and offers the most help to the program user - image
previews when choosing a file and a preview of the entire image file
with the print divisions shown when all options have been selected. I
found it easy to use and fast once I'd used it a few times. It was a bit
glitchy when many many changes were made while learning to use it.

OK. I never did get the desired output out of Posterizia, but mainly
because I didn't want symmetrical overlays of the paper.

With non-symmetrical, it's four pages.
With symmetrical, it's six pages.

Did you get it to be non-symmetrical?

Posteriza allows you to add text and/or a frame to the image - the other
two apps do not.

Agreed. It added a default "FOR SALE" on mine, which I had to look at the
options to figure out where it had come from!

PosteRazor and The Rasterbator package their results in
PDF files. Posteriza does NOT create a PDF file that needs to be opened
by another program before you can print the pieces of your image. (I
regard that as a BIG plus.)

Ooooooooooh. I didn't realize that since I never got Posterizia to output
only four pages and not six pages.

If it's vector format, even better.
Is it vector?

A Posteriza file (smallest file & not even needed to print the pieces)
includes the path to the image file. A PosteRazor file (largest file)
includes the original image file in its PDF. A "The Rasterbator" file
(size varies) includes a REVISED version of the image file in its PDF -
that's what it's creating when it "rasterbates".

That must be why it takes so long, by way of comparison.

Eco Clean, for exact size of pieces, I think I'd next try chopping an
image file up in PosteRazor and exporting the pieces from the PDF file
as separate image files that could be printed to exact size in
Irfanview. That would avoid all the fiddling around with units. . .

Naaah. Thanks but I move on when I find a solution. My solution, at the
moment, is Posterazor to PDF and PDF to plastic and then spray paint to
metal.

The hardest part is the spray painting anyway.

But even if I did vinyl letters, the Posterazor output is still useful as a
floorplan and inventory of the sizes and letters needed.

re the plan below - I shudder to think of creating stencils with an
exacto knive - wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more work than I would want to
contemplate - and then spray pointing - arghhhhhhhhhhh - glad it's you
and not me that will be doing the actual creation of the signs.

I shudder also. The stencil results may be so bad, as to make the whole
project worthless. Then it's back to vinyl letters on metal signs.

Luckily the floorplan and inventory result of Posterazor will still be
useful in both situations.

Thanks for your help as Posterazor is a keeper!
Old January 16th 18, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Mayayana wrote:

I tried the first two. I see them as entirely different
programs. Posterazor simply enlarges the image and
sets it up for multi-page printing. Rasterbator is a
pointilizing program, like applying a filter. The points
can be various sizes and colors. It's not designed to
just make a large image. It's designed to make a
stylized, pointilistic poster.

Your assessment is *better* than mine, where I think that's why the default
was a horrifically huge 10mm.

So we should *remove* Rasterbator from the list of apps, even though it
does do what we needed, Posterazor is much easier and more direct.

1) Input the file
2) Tell it what the output size is

Doesn't get easier than that.

My only question is how to "vectors" equate with what Posterazor does?
Is it a raster or vector program?
Old January 16th 18, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

On 1/15/2018 8:28 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Susan Bugher" wrote

| Thank you very much for your suggestions. 1) Posterrazor is a keeper
| 2) Rasterbator is second fiddle to Posterazor
| 3) Posterizia might work for some people
|

| I have to take issue with your assessment. IMO PosteRazor and Posteriza
| are both good and both are better than The Rasterbator.

I tried the first two. I see them as entirely different
programs. Posterazor simply enlarges the image and
sets it up for multi-page printing. Rasterbator is a
pointilizing program, like applying a filter. The points
can be various sizes and colors. It's not designed to
just make a large image. It's designed to make a
stylized, pointilistic poster.

Yahbut all three apps have these tasks in common: tell a printer the
segments of an image file you want it to print, what scale/size you want
the segments printed at and where you want them to be placed on the
printed pages. That's all PosteRazor does, The Rasterbator and Posteriza
add some bells and whiistles (those are optional extras in Posteriza.)

Susan

Old January 16th 18, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Susan Bugher" wrote

| Yahbut all three apps have these tasks in common: tell a printer the
| segments of an image file you want it to print, what scale/size you want
| the segments printed at and where you want them to be placed on the
| printed pages. That's all PosteRazor does, The Rasterbator and Posteriza
| add some bells and whiistles (those are optional extras in Posteriza.)

I don't have a preference with these. I doubt
I'll ever use any of them. But for people who may
be interested it's worth clarifying the difference.

I didn't try Posteriza.
PosteRazor and RasterBator, despite having equally
annoying names, are very different. I made quick
samples:

www.jsware.net/Files2/RazorRose.jpg (PosteRazor)

www.jsware.net/Files2/RasterRose.jpg (Rasterbator)

As you can see, they do very different jobs. Both
are designed to allow you to print out multiple pages,
line those up, and end up with a giant image. Both
are fairly limitd in that, well, who really wants to
paste together a bunch of printer sheets to make
a picture?

PosteRazor does it by simply enlarging each pixel.
It doesn't seem to resample. Just enlarges each
pixel into a rectangle. So a wall-sized image
might be made of squares 1/4"x 1/4", 1x1 or even
3x3 inches. One might use that to create a 6'x6'
picture of a superhero on the living room wall for
a tragically overindulged child. Or maybe a giant
mural of your favorite vacation retreat.

Rasterbator doesn't do accurate, detailed enlarging.
It does a stylized, quasi-pointilistic rendering. You
can choose the circle size to get different effects.
Where would you use that? Maybe at a retirement
party, to put up a giant, stylized image of the
retiree. Not a giant photo but rather something that
looks more like a painting.