NR: Nikon considering "larger" sensor MILC!

Old September 22nd 16, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default NR: Nikon considering "larger" sensor MILC!

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/ni...arger-sensor-m
irrorless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx/
--
teleportation kills
Old September 22nd 16, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-22 17:14:21 +0000, android said:

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/nikon-1-is-still-alive-larger-sensor-mirrorless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx/

Why

does this sound like they are trying to board a ship that has already sailed?

The current N-1 lens line-up is not going to cut it with a larger
sensor, whatever size it might be, and current Nikkor DX lenses are not
optimized for mirrorless use. So if the rumor is valid, and we get a
Nikon APS-C/FF (or a sensor larger than that in the N-1s) mirrorless,
we are going to be looking at a whole new Nikkor mirrorless lens
line-up.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Old September 23rd 16, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 19:14:21 +0200, android wrote:

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/ni...r-sensor-mirro
rless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx/

Yes! I got that subject line right at third try! ;-ppp
--
teleportation kills
Old September 23rd 16, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2016-09-22 17:14:21 +0000, android said:

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/nikon-1-is-still-alive-larger-sensor-mirrorless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx/

Why

does this sound like they are trying to board a ship that has already
sailed?

The current N-1 lens line-up is not going to cut it with a larger
sensor, whatever size it might be, and current Nikkor DX lenses are not
optimized for mirrorless use. So if the rumor is valid, and we get a
Nikon APS-C/FF (or a sensor larger than that in the N-1s) mirrorless, we
are going to be looking at a whole new Nikkor mirrorless lens line-up.

I would only consider Nikon again /if/ they produced MTF compatible
cameras and lenses. Agree with your comments. Sony seems to be well
ahead in FF mirrorless.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 23rd 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

On 2016-09-22 17:14:21 +0000, android said:

android:
http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/ni...larger-sensor-

mirrorless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx

Why

does this sound like they are trying to board a ship that has
already sailed?

The current N-1 lens line-up is not going to cut it with a larger
sensor, whatever size it might be, and current Nikkor DX lenses are
not optimized for mirrorless use. So if the rumor is valid, and we
get a Nikon APS-C/FF (or a sensor larger than that in the N-1s)
mirrorless, we are going to be looking at a whole new Nikkor
mirrorless lens line-up.

Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get a digital Nikon FE, that
would be awesome.

--
Sandman
Old September 23rd 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-22 17:14:21 +0000, android said:

android:
http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/22/ni...larger-sensor-

mirrorless-solution-is-being-considered.aspx

Why

does this sound like they are trying to board a ship that has
already sailed?

The current N-1 lens line-up is not going to cut it with a larger
sensor, whatever size it might be, and current Nikkor DX lenses are
not optimized for mirrorless use. So if the rumor is valid, and we
get a Nikon APS-C/FF (or a sensor larger than that in the N-1s)
mirrorless, we are going to be looking at a whole new Nikkor
mirrorless lens line-up.

Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get a digital Nikon FE, that
would be awesome.

Maybe. However, as a mirrorless with F-mount lenses it will not be
compact in any way, and it will have to be large enough to deal with
the longer flage distance found in DSLRs. That sort of defeats the
purpose of the mirrorless concept. A Nikon mirrorless with an APS-C or
FF sensor is going to require all new glass, even if they make it
F-mount glass. So then we will end up with Nikkor FX, DX, and MX glass.

It is not outside Nikon's capability to produce a great mirrorless, but
they are a tad late to this particular game. They needed to do this two
to three years ago. The N-1 was a fair attempt, but not successful, and
this rumor if it pans out will be interesting to say the least.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 16, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-22 17:14:21 +0000, android said:

[...]

....er, should read "flange distance".

Old September 23rd 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J.
Clarke wrote:

The current N-1 lens line-up is not going to cut it with a larger
sensor, whatever size it might be, and current Nikkor DX lenses are not
optimized for mirrorless use. So if the rumor is valid, and we get a
Nikon APS-C/FF (or a sensor larger than that in the N-1s) mirrorless, we
are going to be looking at a whole new Nikkor mirrorless lens line-up.

I would only consider Nikon again /if/ they produced MTF compatible
cameras and lenses. Agree with your comments. Sony seems to be well
ahead in FF mirrorless.

I'm pretty sure that all Nikon lenses have an MTF. Perhaps you meant
something else?

mft
Old September 23rd 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Why not mirrorless with an f-mount?

it'd be roughly the size of existing slrs.

Then we could get a digital Nikon FE, that
would be awesome.

a 'digital nikon fe' has existed for *years*.