As suspected, D4 not as clean as D3S

Old March 9th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default As suspected, D4 not as clean as D3S

On 9/03/2012 2:06 p.m., Bowser wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 19:02:25 +1300, wrote:

On 3/03/2012 6:03 p.m., Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
wrote:
Downsize the D4 images or whatever, but the output from the D3S is
still the best of any DSLR.

http://tinyurl.com/7mmbmkq

Perhaps your subjective opinion is... eerrrrrr, less that valid?

Here's something a little less difficult for you the
analyze. See if you can tell us in what way it supports
your bull**** opinion?

http://actionphotosbymarianne.com/TestIm/ISO200snr.gif
http://actionphotosbymarianne.com/TestIm/ISO3200snr.gif
http://actionphotosbymarianne.com/Te...SO12800snr.gif

What you are most interested in, since you probably
don't know, is where the graphs show different cameras
in each ISO at the -6 EV and lower. Specifically the
D3S is the light green color, while a normalized to 12
MP D800 graph is in red and a normalized to 12 MP D4
graph is in blue.

In all cases, but particularly at ISO 200, the D4 and
D800 both have better SNR than the D3 and D3S.

This information (collated by Marianne Oelund, Bill Claff, and others)
just ain't going to "get through". The forums on DPReview are full of it.
I'd hoped the 5dIII would have been near enough to 36mp to quell
inter-brand BS on what "perfect pixel density" is. Dammit, now the
Canon 5DII apologists will be arguing for exactly what they argued
against when Canon had more pixels.

Have you ben following the conversations on those DP Review boards?
It's hilarious. Apparently, Canon has introduced the camera the
Nikonians want while Nikon has introduced the camera the Cannonites
want. Neither side is pleased with their company's introduction. For
me, the 5D III is what I was looking for. Same resolution but vastly
improved metering and AF, as well as better sealing. 22MP is plenty
for me, and those 75M Nikon files could be a bit much. I'll be
upgrading to the III in about 6 months.

Yeah - I drop in to DPreview for a quick look from time to time.
There's some crooked thinking expressed in those forums. It's going to
get worse in the Nikon forum, as it sinks in that the D700 is in fact
discontinued - IOW an obsolete model owned by most of the posters there,
and most of them have convinced themselves and each other that the D700
is perfection, the ultimate possible balance between pixel density,
noise, ergonomics vs cost, etc etc. Nikon Japan can't make it for their
domestic market any more 'cause it doesn't meet specs there for high
density lithium ion batteries. I can't see Nikon rehashing a 5YO design
with dated sensor technology just to fit a new battery.
Good luck with the 5dIII. They've fixed what I saw as drawbacks with
the 5dII (AF mainly). Nikon's fixed what I saw as the main drawback
with the d700 (low resolution). But nobody seems happy.
I vowed that if Nikon put the D3x sensor in a D700 body at a reasonable
price, I'd buy one. They've put better than the D3x sensor on a better
than D700 body, and I'm still not going to be an early adopter, but it
looks like the camera to meet my needs for a while.
I don't worry about file size. 75mb raws (actually about 40mb
compressed) are no worse than when I got a 12mp camera. I filed my old
512mb CF cards in the bottom drawer (probably prematurely - as they'd
hold about 40 compressed raw files - which is more shots than you got in
a 35mm cassette) , and went out and bought some 4gb ones. The 4gb ones
would hold about 100 compressed raw shots on the D800, so the situation
wouldn't be dire enough to file them away as useless yet.

Old March 10th 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:06:25 -0500, Bowser wrote:
: Have you been following the conversations on those DP Review boards?
: It's hilarious. Apparently, Canon has introduced the camera the
: Nikonians want while Nikon has introduced the camera the Cannonites
: want. Neither side is pleased with their company's introduction. For
: me, the 5D III is what I was looking for. Same resolution but vastly
: improved metering and AF, as well as better sealing. 22MP is plenty
: for me, and those 75M Nikon files could be a bit much. I'll be
: upgrading to the III in about 6 months.

The best news about that is that your back must be better. Not so long ago,
you were complaining that your 5D2 was too heavy and extolling the virtues of
lightweight mirrorless cameras. Whatever else is true of the Mark 3, I don't
think it will be significantly lighter than the Mark 2. ;^)

Bob
Old March 10th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:28:15 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:06:25 -0500, Bowser wrote:
: Have you been following the conversations on those DP Review boards?
: It's hilarious. Apparently, Canon has introduced the camera the
: Nikonians want while Nikon has introduced the camera the Cannonites
: want. Neither side is pleased with their company's introduction. For
: me, the 5D III is what I was looking for. Same resolution but vastly
: improved metering and AF, as well as better sealing. 22MP is plenty
: for me, and those 75M Nikon files could be a bit much. I'll be
: upgrading to the III in about 6 months.

The best news about that is that your back must be better. Not so long ago,
you were complaining that your 5D2 was too heavy and extolling the virtues of
lightweight mirrorless cameras. Whatever else is true of the Mark 3, I don't
think it will be significantly lighter than the Mark 2. ;^)

Back is good, and has been for a while, thanks. Honestly, when I'm out
snapshooting I carry a Panny GX1 kit now. Love it.

But, when I want something better, the Canon gets toted. For me the 5D
III is just right. Much better metering was the start, and everything
else is gravy.