Power issue with the Kodak dx3215

Old June 24th 04, 03:53 AM
Ryl

Default Power issue with the Kodak dx3215

Hello.

Just bought this camera second hand for my daughter.

We've been experiencing power issues: even though we insert new
batteries the camera powers down after a very short time, say 5
minutes. And then, the only way to start it up again is to either
install another pair of batteries or move the batteries around.

Any ideas?? Should I fork out the money for Lithium AAA batties?

Thanks,

Richard
Old June 24th 04, 05:04 AM
ICee

Ryl wrote:
Hello.

Just bought this camera second hand for my daughter.

We've been experiencing power issues: even though we insert new
batteries the camera powers down after a very short time, say 5
minutes. And then, the only way to start it up again is to either
install another pair of batteries or move the batteries around.

Any ideas?? Should I fork out the money for Lithium AAA batties?

Thanks,

Richard

Digital cameras eat alkaline batteries *very* fast, as you have found.
Lithium batteries will last longer, but they are not economical. Your
best bet is to get NiMH rechargeable batteries and a charger. NiMH
batteries will last much longer than lithium batteries and they can be
recharged around 1000 times. Notice the note at the bottom of this
page.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...?camera=DX3215
Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?A282113A8

Old June 24th 04, 09:13 AM
Ron Hunter

Ryl wrote:

Hello.

Just bought this camera second hand for my daughter.

We've been experiencing power issues: even though we insert new
batteries the camera powers down after a very short time, say 5
minutes. And then, the only way to start it up again is to either
install another pair of batteries or move the batteries around.

Any ideas?? Should I fork out the money for Lithium AAA batties?

Thanks,

Richard

The DX3215 uses AA batteries, and if you are using alkaline batteries,
it will not work well. Buy either disposable CRV3 batteries, or
rechargeable AA NIMH batteries and a charger and you will be much
happier. You can find the complete manual online at the www.kodak.com
site in case you didn't get one with the camera.

Old June 24th 04, 04:15 PM
Richard

Thanks Ron.

I'll do that.

Richard

Old June 28th 04, 03:25 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Ryl,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with batteries.

More than likely you are experiencing this trouble due to general alkaline
battery use? If that is your situation, I suggest you get a recharger and
NiMH batteries. There are long lasting 2100 MAH batteries now available
that should power your daughters camera for a long time. When they do run
down, just recharge. Give that a try, and keep in mind that due to the
nature of their chemistry, Ni-MH batteries perform better when used
regularly. When they are not used, their internal chemicals can
crystallize. This is very similar to how a jar of honey that has sat on the
shelf a long time can crystallize. The crystallized part of the battery
does not hold a charge and therefore reduces the overall charge capacity of
the battery.

In the case of honey, you can heat the jar to un-crystallize it. For the
Ni-MH batteries, the conditioning process below will help reverse the
crystallization and increase the capacity for holding a charge. It is also
important to note that after conditioning, the chemicals inside the battery
can crystallize once again if the battery sees little use. In that case it
would be necessary to follow the conditioning process once again.

If you use the camera infrequently, you may wish to consider using
disposable CRV3 or AA lithium batteries. Many of our infrequent users have
found the long storage capacity of this battery to outweigh the additional
cost of it being disposable.

If this conditioning process did not correct the charging issue with your
battery, please respond to this email with your name, address, and phone
number. To ensure priority service, please do not change the subject line
of the reply. We will send a replacement battery along with a return
envelope for your old battery.

Talk to you soon, Ryl, let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

om...