Pentax RAW file size

Old January 5th 05, 05:18 PM

Default Pentax RAW file size

Hey all... getting closer to purchasing a *istDS, but I'm a bit troubled by a
design choice of Pentaxs'. It would appear that the RAW file size is *HUGE* by
comparison to other brands. I've heard rumors that they both pad the 12-bits off the
A/D to 16 bits, AND don't do compression. It would seem like a silly thing to not do
a lossless compression on the RAW files unless computational power was an issue. Can
anyone confirm or deny such a thing? I've been scouring the 'net looking for a sample
RAW .PEF file to look through, but haven't had any luck with that either.

If it is too difficult to compress on-the-fly at the time of the shot, at
least a "pack photos" option or something would be a very good upgrade to the
firmware. One could let the camera chew on the already taken pictures and crunch them
down to 50% of their original size to fit 100 pics on a 512MB card, rather than 45.

Anyone care to comment?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 5th 05, 06:56 PM

John Bean wrote:
: The DS file is about 10MB, about 3MB smaller than the D.

: Both include full resolution JPEGs within them along with VGA and thumbnail
: sizes. Plus the sensor dump of course.

They've got *full-resolution* JPEGs in them? That's pretty significant
then.... seems like that should be an option, not enabled all the time. Hrm... no
accounting for taste, I guess.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 5th 05, 08:33 PM

John Bean wrote:
: Nothing to do with taste, it's a good design feature. It's used for quick
: high-resolution reviewing and scrolling of the image on camera without
: having to reprocess the raw data every time.

I don't disagree that's it's a nice feature to have, I just don't agree that
it should be mandatory. I managed to find a couple of sample PEF files online and did
a little hexdumping. I found the three sizes within the PEF file of size 10000kB

160x120: 8kB
640x480: 40kB
3008x2000: 912kB

That's 10% worth of overhead on every shot. It's a fairly compressed JPEG too, so
it's probably not the same one you'd get if you shot in JPEG. I think it'd be better
to have an option to include big JPEG or not and have it be the same high-quality one
as if shot JPEG.

* Cory Papenfuss *