Zone VI Archival Print Washer Parts

Old April 11th 04, 07:35 PM
Jeff Neale

Default Zone VI Archival Print Washer Parts

Greetings All
I Found a used Zone VI Washer 11x14 at a local camera store. In
pretty good shape at a good price. Seems to work fine but what's the
purpose of the two spare acrylic sheets that came with it ?? They're
about 17" X 4 1/2" but don't seem to fit anywhere in the washer unless
I remove some print dividers.
Any brilliant ideas ?? Thanks All..Jef
Old April 11th 04, 09:12 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Jeff Neale wrote:
Greetings All
I Found a used Zone VI Washer 11x14 at a local camera store. In
pretty good shape at a good price. Seems to work fine but what's the
purpose of the two spare acrylic sheets that came with it ?? They're
about 17" X 4 1/2" but don't seem to fit anywhere in the washer unless
I remove some print dividers.
Any brilliant ideas ?? Thanks All..Jef

IIRC, they were so you could remove all the dividers, and you put those
things in. Then you could put one of their negative washer baskets in
there with the sheet film in the basket for washing sheet film. I never
bought the basket or thought of washing negatives in there. For paper,
the slow water flow rate is appropriate, but I prefer a much faster
water flow rate for washing negatives. IIRC, Kodak recommend 6 changes
an hour, but I may be mistaken. I generally wash the negatives in the
developping tank and have about one change per minute for 10 minutes. I
fill the tank with the negatives in there, jiggle the reels a little and
dump it. Then I let it refill and wash 5 minutes. Then I dump it, let it
refill, and wash another 5 minutes. This after one minute in KHCA, or
course.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 16:05:00 up 10 days, 12:20, 5 users, load average: 4.22, 4.13, 3.43

Old April 12th 04, 02:34 AM
doug

"Jeff Neale" wrote:
Greetings All
I Found a used Zone VI Washer 11x14 at a local camera store. In
pretty good shape at a good price. Seems to work fine but what's the
purpose of the two spare acrylic sheets that came with it ?? They're
about 17" X 4 1/2" but don't seem to fit anywhere in the washer unless
I remove some print dividers.
Any brilliant ideas ?? Thanks All..Jef

I have the same print washer. Yes the short sheets are intended to support
the sheet film washer (submerged) or for stacking roll film reels. To use
them you remove as many standard dividers as is necessary. The Zone VI
catalog says:
"With dividers removed, any of our print washers can be used for archival
washing of film on reels".
I usually stack reels, up to (3) deep, on the inserted short sheets. About
15-18 reels can be accommodated this way. I've used it since'82 and it works
fine.

Doug

Old November 30th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
Does anyone know how to control the overflow? When the
water reaches the top it pours over onto the floor. I
hope someone wil reply.
thanks,
Victoria

I have a large Zone VI washer although I haven't used it
for a while. I always put mine in the bathtub. The only way
I found to prevent overflow is to adjust the filling rate to
it doesn't. In fact, from experiments I made long ago with
dye to determine the time it took the water to change I
mostly ran it to deliberately overflow. These washers work
OK but are not wonderful. For single prints I mostly use a
tray with a Kodak Print Siphon in it. This works quite well
for single prints or perhaps a tray with a number of small
prints that can move around freely, but is not so good for a
stack of larger prints. There is probably an ideal print
washer but I've never seen one.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old November 30th 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

On 11/19/2013 11:48 PM, wrote:
Does anyone know how to control the overflow? When the water reaches the top it pours over onto the floor. I hope someone wil reply.
thanks,
Victoria

I have a Zone VI print washer, 11"x14" size (i.e., it will wash prints
that size or a little larger, but not 16"x20".

The way I run it, tempered water flows in the hose connection at my
upper right into a plenum chamber. While in there, some of the dissolved
air comes out of solution. I wish it all did.

From the plenum, the water enters the main chamber through to rows of
small holes; one row near the top (but below the water level) and
another row near the bottom. After the water has washed the prints, it
exits the washing chamber through holes at the bottom into the exit
plenum. Picker did that because he believed hypo is heavier than water
and it would sink to the bottom. That happens to be nonsense, but it
does not really matter. The water rises up in the exit plenum and goes
out the overflow pipe.

_There is no reason whatever for the washer to overflow_. The exit pipe
is about one inch in diameter and the intake pipe is effectively about
3/8 inch. There is little point running much over 1/2 gallon per minute
through that, since washing is a diffusion limited process. But even if
you run a gallon a minute, it should never overflow.

What flow rate could you be running that the water comes into the tank
faster than can escape from the large drain pipe? I have never had it
come anywhere near the top.

The biggest problem I have with the washer is that not all the air comes
out of the water in wintertime in the entry plenum chamber, so some of
it comes out on the prints. I wrote to Fred Picker about that and he
said it was not a problem because the bubbles grow in size and float off
the prints and they do not impede washing. Well, I have studied them and
they can remain firmly in place for over 15 minutes, and they do impede
washing. So every 5 or 10 minutes I quickly raise each print and briskly
reinsert it to get the bubbles off. They are caused by mixing the cold
winter water with the hot water to get wash water the right temperature.
I tend to do my B&W processing at 75F because I cannot reliably get it
colder than that in the summertime, and I prefer to use the same
temperatures all year long.

/V\ PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine 1935521.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
http://linuxcounter.net
^^-^^ 14:10:01 up 6 days, 23:00, 2 users, load average: 4.28, 4.19, 4.24
Old December 1st 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Mine is the 16x20 washer. Very heavy. I tested it using
beet juice to see how long it took for the red color to
clear. At normal flow rates, that is, no overflow, it took
too long so when I was using it regularly I put in the
bathtub and let it overflow.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
On 11/19/2013 11:48 PM,
wrote:
Does anyone know how to control the overflow? When the
water reaches the top it pours over onto the floor. I
hope someone wil reply.
thanks,
Victoria

I have a Zone VI print washer, 11"x14" size (i.e., it will
wash prints
that size or a little larger, but not 16"x20".

The way I run it, tempered water flows in the hose
connection at my
upper right into a plenum chamber. While in there, some of
the dissolved
air comes out of solution. I wish it all did.

From the plenum, the water enters the main chamber through
to rows of

--
.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User
85642.