Cleaning a sony digital Lens

Old June 19th 13, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

Default Cleaning a sony digital Lens

thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

Marc-

That spot reminds me of "burn in", where a bright image would burn
itself into the phosphors of an old CRT computer screen.

Suppose the camera had sat on the dealer's shelf for several months,
pointing at a bright light or perhaps the store's front door. I think
the grey cloud may be in the sensor, and cleaning will not fix it.

Fred
Old June 20th 13, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peternew[_2_]

On 2013-06-19 14:15:12 -0700, peternew said:

On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, wrote:
thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

Not on the sensor of a compact such as that owned by the OP, it isn't.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...shot-dsc-HX20v

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

After living with my dust magnet D70 I became very proficient at DSLR
sensor cleaning and familiar with various methods.
Two sites I recommend the DSLR owner to visit are the following:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...-Supplies.aspx

...but that still doesn't solve the OP's problem.

OK I sit corrected.

--
PeterN
Old June 20th 13, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

On Jun 19, 2:49*pm, wrote:
thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

I think this is the best course of action.
Old June 20th 13, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-20 08:33:15 -0700, said:

here are 3 shots of a White piece of paper

regular, 20x zoom, and 22x zoom

http://imgur.com/NAqCKq0
http://imgur.com/i4ZmLNO
http://imgur.com/eQtvua4

does this tell anything more, about where the spot comes from?

thanks,
marc

If the lens is clean, there seems to be a serious issue with the sensor.
Use those shots to demonstrate the problem and get the camera replaced.

Savageduck

Old June 21st 13, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

That is why I put a clear lens protector on the lens first thing, when
it is clean and pristene and new, and obsessively clean the protector
instead.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix dot com | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Old June 22nd 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

wrote:
here are 3 shots of a White piece of paper

regular, 20x zoom, and 22x zoom

http://imgur.com/NAqCKq0
http://imgur.com/i4ZmLNO
http://imgur.com/eQtvua4

does this tell anything more, about where the spot comes from?

Looks like Lint on the sensor.

If you're lucky, a vacuum or a bulb blower may dislodge it.
Or make it worse.
It may need to be serviced otherwise, which may or may not be
a total loss financially if you have to pay for it.

-Wolfgang

lens cleaning Sky Digital Photography 3 February 1st 06 11:45 PM
Cleaning my lens April Lyons via PhotoKB.com 35mm Photo Equipment 12 March 17th 05 04:51 PM
lens cleaning Ben Rosengart Other Photographic Equipment 2 February 26th 05 08:49 PM
Lens cleaning Deputy Dog Digital ZLR Cameras 2 February 7th 05 11:20 AM
Lens cleaning Paul Westwell Digital Photography 40 September 20th 04 07:39 PM