Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

Old November 28th 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

| Neat. Sounds exactly like what I need.
|
| Are you the author?

Yes. I've been writing shareware for years but
this one was mainly designed for my photographer
lady friend. She was going on trips and then
spending weeks trying to crop hundreds of photos
by hand in PSP. So the program was designed
to provide auto cropping and resizing. Operations
can be done on a folder or file. With a single file
the cropping rectangle can be dragged to easily
get the best section of the image.

If you or anyone else decides to try the program
I'd be happy to hear criticisms, suggestions, or
requests. I occasionally update these things when
it seems worthwhile and would consider making any
changes that seem like they'd be of value to a
number of people. (I actually made a change not
long ago because someone was making a video
collage of photos and wanted to be able to crop to
a 16:9 ratio. Up to that point I had provided only
several typical ratios: 4x6, 5x8, etc. But I realized
it would be simple to also add a custom option to
set any ratio.)

Old November 28th 12, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Wally" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:24:40 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:53:34 -0700, Wally wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:35:55 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:27:40 -0700, Wally wrote:

I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
the screen.

Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
common albums.

The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
do that.

I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
like this.

Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
original files don't have consistent dimensions.

Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
many different sizes.

Paint Shop Pro will do what you want and let you print to either a
printer or a file.

How?

Here is a scan of a 6" x 4" test print I happened to have lying
around. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Image1.jpg I presume that
this is the sort of thing you want. The length of the panoramic image
has been fitted to the paper and the top and bottom has been padded
with white space.

If the image was taller than it was wide then the top and bottom of
the image would be fitted to the paper and it would be the sides that
were padded.

OK, it looks good. Will have to give it a try. But I gotta admit that
JS PhotoPrep sounds exactly right and real simple too.

I agree, and at $15 US it's a lot cheaper than PR Genuine Fractals. I
thought it seems what you are looking for.

Old November 28th 12, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Rob wrote:
On 28/11/2012 9:48 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Wally wrote:
I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
the screen.

Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
common albums.

So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.

That is a relatively simple task using ImageMagick
tools... if of course you are familiar with them and
with writing batch files.

I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
making heaps of flash presentations.

The image was placed on a black background, and made to
fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
images. Batched whole folders.

I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old November 29th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
making heaps of flash presentations.

The image was placed on a black background, and made to
fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
images. Batched whole folders.

I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

Can't you do what you want in your print dialog? If not, take your
printer along with a thumb drive that contains your photos, to visit
someone who has a Macintosh computer. The built-in Preview App can
handle common image formats. In the print dialog, choose "Scale to
Fit", and select "Print Entire Image".

The idea is not to print them, but to generate files edited as
described. The original target was converting 200 or so images.

I don't do this often, but 100 at a time isn't unusual when I do,
and as many as 1000 isn't unlikely either.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Old December 6th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Wally wrote:
I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
the screen.

Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
common albums.

You could consider making an album not by sticking photos in
it, but by having the *pages* (containing the images) printed
(or even better, chemically developed like real photos) and
then bound to a book --- presto, an album and you can keep
all the irregular dimensions.

Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
do that.

imagemagick. It's made for batch processing of images of all
kinds. (And it's open source, so you can download it, use it
and even improve it as you like.)

You'll need to read the manual to find the right options and
sequence of commands, but someone will have had a similar
problem before, so it's likely you can find an example on the
web that you can adapt.

One way would be to resize (keeping aspect ratio) the image
to 1200x1800 max (300dpi for 4x6 inch), then extend to
1200x1800 around the image.

(untested
convert original.jpg -resize 1200x1800 -gravity center -background darkgrey -extend 1200x1800 resized.jpg

Now make a loop over all your jpegs, creating the resized jpeg
in another directory ...

-Wolfgang
Old December 10th 12, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote:

[...]

Wally

Depending on the photo you may want to select the
area that is cropped because auto-cropping might
chop heads off etc.