Monopod, Unipod, etc.?

Old April 6th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Default Monopod, Unipod, etc.?

Could anybody give some recommendations to get a good Monopod or Unipod?
Btw, what's the difference, just the name or something else?

I found several items he

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&clsgr=&iso=Y

and I have no idea which one is better for me. I will use it for my Canon
GL2 (digital video) and Nikon D80 (digital photo) mostly for great zooms
and/or at night. I already have a tripod but I feel that it's not always
enough, one leg would be a better mobile solution. But which brand is
better, what parameters are important, how many sections, the weight to
carry, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just D.

Old April 6th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

"Just D" wrote in message
Could anybody give some recommendations to get a good Monopod or Unipod?
Btw, what's the difference, just the name or something else?

I found several items he

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&clsgr=&iso=Y

and I have no idea which one is better for me. I will use it for my Canon
GL2 (digital video) and Nikon D80 (digital photo) mostly for great zooms
and/or at night. I already have a tripod but I feel that it's not always
enough, one leg would be a better mobile solution. But which brand is
better, what parameters are important, how many sections, the weight to
carry, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just D.

In general a unipod and a monopod are basically the same thing. I think that
some manufacturers use unipod to denote a monopod that has small stabilizing
legs at the bottom so it can almost stand by itself. Kind of like a cross
between a table top tripod with a monopod.

What parameters for choosing a monopod (or even unipod) will be different
for each of us. But I can point to a few things that I looked for with my
mono. First I am rather tall and unless I want to bend over to take a photo
(which can sometimes be rather uncomfortable and unstable) I needed a mono
that when it was fully extended it would hold my camera at or above my
standing eye level. So I stood up, held my camera to my eye and measured the
distance from the base of the camera to the floor. This vastly reduced the
number of options for me. Then I put my largest and heaviest lens on the
camera (with the maximum number of optional add-ons like multipliers,
filters, external flash, etc and weighed it. This reduced my choices about
half as some were not rated for close to the total weight. Then I looked at
how many segments on the leg which influences how short it can be
compressed. I wanted to be able to hang it on my belt and didn't want to
have it too long as that would run the risk of getting it swinging between
my knees or banging against things along side me when walking. Lastly I
wanted one with a quick release head. I solved the last by purchasing a
quick release head that fit on both my tripod and on my monopod. So I can
swap from one support, to another or to handheld easily. Then when I had
eliminated all the unsuitable (for me) pods I chose the one that was
lightest and within my budget. Works for me.

Others will have different lists of needs and requirements and so take the
suggested decision points from me and everyone else and decide if that
applies to you.

Randy

Old April 6th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Beladi Nasrallah

On Apr 6, 1:00*pm, "Just D" wrote:
Could anybody give some recommendations to get a good Monopod or Unipod? .... I will use it for my Canon
GL2 (digital video) and Nikon D80 (digital photo) mostly for great zooms
and/or at night.

You will need a digital tripod.
Old April 6th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Beladi Nasrallah"
\You will need a digital tripod.

With a built-in hard drive, firewire and a free Internet access, right?
Just kidding.

Seriously, I'm not sure that there is any difference in a construction for a
digital and non-digital devices. Maybe I'm wrong. I remember that in 60-70xx
the thread to fix the camera was different, that's all I know.

Just D.

Old April 6th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Randy Berbaum"

eliminated all the unsuitable (for me) pods I chose the one that was
lightest and within my budget. Works for me.
Randy

Thanks, Randy, I see now what to start with.

Just D.

Old April 6th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Randy Berbaum"

Guys, what are you thinking about this model? It already has a quick Release
Platform and I can add an additional one, the price is acceptable, length is
enough. Are you seeing any trap here?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Just D.

Old April 6th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Just D wrote:

"Beladi Nasrallah"
\You will need a digital tripod.

With a built-in hard drive, firewire and a free Internet access, right?
Just kidding.

But an external HD could be used with his whole array of
tripods/monopods/unipods/arthropods.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old April 6th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Just D wrote:

"Beladi Nasrallah"
\You will need a digital tripod.

With a built-in hard drive, firewire and a free Internet access, right?
Just kidding.

But an external HD could be used with his whole array of
tripods/monopods/unipods/arthropods.

Isn't that what a memory stick is? like a monopod walking stick with
build in hard drive :-)
Old April 6th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Ο "Just D" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Could anybody give some recommendations to get a good Monopod or Unipod?
Btw, what's the difference, just the name or something else?

I found several items he

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...h&Q=&sortDrop=
Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=&pn=1&st=categoryNavi gation&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=
397&shs=&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=397&cmpsrch=&cltp=&cls gr=&iso=Y

and I have no idea which one is better for me. I will use it for my Canon
GL2 (digital video) and Nikon D80 (digital photo) mostly for great zooms
and/or at night. I already have a tripod but I feel that it's not always
enough, one leg would be a better mobile solution. But which brand is
better, what parameters are important, how many sections, the weight to
carry, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just make sure that the tripod/monopod has the little extra screw to secure
your camcorder, besides the threaded one that is used for both (the camera
and camcorder).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old April 6th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Just D wrote:

"Beladi Nasrallah"
\You will need a digital tripod.

With a built-in hard drive, firewire and a free Internet access, right?
Just kidding.

But an external HD could be used with his whole array of
tripods/monopods/unipods/arthropods.

Isn't that what a memory stick is? like a monopod walking stick with build
in hard drive :-)

One could look at them that way.

Or one could look at them this way. tilts head to the left