Nikon macro lens recommendations

Old January 16th 08, 12:58 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_9_]

Default Nikon macro lens recommendations

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

At first he asked me about tubes and teleconvertors. So I
suggested TCs are no good for macro unless you are magnifying an
existing macro setup, you lose image quality etc. I also
suggested that he forget about tubes at this stage, try getting
used to bare macro lens. I did mention that I have read an
acceptable and cheap macro setup is to use a 50mm lens with a
full set of Kenko tubes, although working distance is quite
small.

The lenses he was asking about we
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

I have bought and used briefly the Sigma 105mm macro and really
liked it. And it seems to be cheaper than both of those
he asked about, and it comes on a Nikon mount.

So I was going to suggest to him the Sigma 105mm macro, and
forget the TC and tubes for now.

Budget-wise, I am not sure. He tends to buy toys expensive, but
I'd rather recommend something that does the job fine and is good
value for money.

Anything to add? Better suggestions? Pros? Cons?

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm
Old January 16th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 15, 6:58*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

My brother's friend swears by the Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor
Macro Lens
http://nikonusa.com/images/products/1987_360.jpg
In Canadian dollars it costs under $500.
Helen
Old January 16th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Koenig

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro.

What kind of pictures does he want to take? DX-format digital or
full-frame?

One problem with short macro lenses (such as 60 or 70mm) is that one may
have to get too close to the subject to make it easy to light. That's why
Nikon makes 105mm and 200mm macro lenses.

The 105mm is interesting because it includes vibration reduction, which
means it will also be useful for handheld portraits, etc. It's an AF-S
lens, which means it won't focus on older bodies (such as the N8008).

The 200mm offers the longest working distance, but has no VR and focuses
mechanically (which is relevant only if you're using a D40). It's also more
expensive than the 105mm

Old January 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce

I use a Nikon D80 & use a 60mm Micro Nikkor it is a very good lens for
flowers but the 105mm Micro Nikkor gives you that extra distance but at a
cost. I have found for butterfly & larger insects on flowers a telephoto
(200mm) with an extension tube/ring gives good results at less expense.
Bruce

Old January 16th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* is quoted & my replies are inline
* below :
On Jan 15, 6:58*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. *I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. *He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. *(Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

snip /

My brother's friend swears by the Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor
Macro Lens
http://nikonusa.com/images/products/1987_360.jpg
In Canadian dollars it costs under $500.
Helen

Thanks Helen.

That lens is AU$541 delivered from one of the cheaper stores in
Sydney.
The Sigma 105mm is $500 from same store.

Worth the extra? Wonder what the working distance is.

Old January 16th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* Andrew Koenig is quoted & my replies are inline below :
"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro.

What kind of pictures does he want to take? DX-format digital or
full-frame?

One problem with short macro lenses (such as 60 or 70mm) is that one may
have to get too close to the subject to make it easy to light. That's why
Nikon makes 105mm and 200mm macro lenses.

The 105mm is interesting because it includes vibration reduction, which
means it will also be useful for handheld portraits, etc. It's an AF-S
lens, which means it won't focus on older bodies (such as the N8008).

The 200mm offers the longest working distance, but has no VR and focuses
mechanically (which is relevant only if you're using a D40). It's also more
expensive than the 105mm

Thanks Andrew.

I think he has another couple of lenses - I think "kit" lenses.
I'll ask. But I think he'll only want this for macro. Not sure
what camera either - I should have asked that too.

The Nikkor 105mm is double the cost of Sigma 105! Acknowledge it
has stabilising, but that's a lot more.

Thanks for you input.

Old January 16th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* Bruce is quoted & my replies are inline below :
I use a Nikon D80 & use a 60mm Micro Nikkor it is a very good lens for
flowers but the 105mm Micro Nikkor gives you that extra distance but at a
cost. I have found for butterfly & larger insects on flowers a telephoto
(200mm) with an extension tube/ring gives good results at less expense.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Suspect the 105 Nikkor may be a little too pricey,
but the 60mm would be right.

He's probably more into bugs than flowers. What's the working
distance like for that sort of thing?

Old January 16th 08, 02:14 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.equipment.35mm.]
* Rita Berkowitz is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Troy Piggins wrote:

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

It depends on what he wants to photograph. If he's making document type
copies on a stand he's be better suited to get a 60mm f/2.8D AF. It's also
good for portrait on APS-C, but is a bit too sharp. For insects it has a
lot less working distance than the 105.

He won't be making commercial type stuff, and don't think he has
a tripod. Think he's interested in insects etc after he saw a
couple of mine.

If he doesn't want to spend that much money, about $400 USD he can get a
105mm f/2.8D AF. It's a really nice lens and has a nice working distance
for insect. It's slightly slower in AF than the newer 105/2.8VR. But who
uses AF with macro work?

Exactly. The AF on my Canon 100mm is slow, but doesn't matter
with MF.

I'll look into that lens above. But if it's older, will it be
second-hand only?

Than you have the latest 105/2.8VR. It's also a nice lens. AF is slightly
faster than the older version and the optical and image quality are about
the same as the older version. The bokeh is slightly better on the VR
version. It's also a bit more expensive than the AF-D version. Again, if
he's only using the lens for macro he might want the older one. I keep AF
and VR off for macro work. It's a great portrait lens with sweet bokeh, but
it can be overly sharp for portrait work. It does work great optically with
a 2X TC, but AF is a bit slower and hunts more.

I haven't tried Sigma, but a lot of people love their 105. If he's not in
that much of a hurry he should be able to get a good deal on eBay. He won't
go wrong with any of the Nikkors, my favorites are the 105s.

Ok, thanks for your input.

Old January 16th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* Andrew Koenig is quoted & my replies are inline below :
"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro.

What kind of pictures does he want to take? DX-format digital or
full-frame?

Just checked. It's a D40X camera.

Old January 16th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
frederick

Troy Piggins wrote:

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

It depends on what he wants to photograph. If he's making document type
copies on a stand he's be better suited to get a 60mm f/2.8D AF. It's also
good for portrait on APS-C, but is a bit too sharp. For insects it has a
lot less working distance than the 105.

He won't be making commercial type stuff, and don't think he has
a tripod. Think he's interested in insects etc after he saw a
couple of mine.

Then even longer than 105mm is better.
The Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG HSM macro seems to be a terrific lens, with
great user reports, and excellent (unsurpassed?) optical performance
test results on photozone.
The extra focal length gives greater working distance, HSM ring motor
means instant auto-focus override by turning the MF ring.
Price is less than a Nikkor 105, and 150mm will be better for insect shots.
He will probably need a tripod. Hopefully also at least a D80 or better
with shutter release delay option. Lesser Nikon dslrs have no shutter
release delay and/or mlu mode, and so often with macro, usable exposure
puts shutter speed in the range (~ 1/60 - 1/2 second) where mirror slap
is a real problem. Sigma 150, or other macro lens with integral tripod
mount improves this considerably.