Sound and other triggers

Old December 22nd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.M. Procida

Default Sound and other triggers

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele
Old December 22nd 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave

D.M. Procida wrote:
I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if
your handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770
Old December 22nd 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:07:16 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele

First, you need a cable remote release for the camera, and have someone check
how the contacts work, so you can use a relay.

Once you have determined that "dry" contacts can trigger the camera, you need an
audio activated switch. ("dry contact" refers to no foreign voltage present on
the contacts e.g. = a switch.)

There may be a kit available, such as the "clapper" lamp controller, or if you
can get a sensitive AC relay, you could use any audio device with a microphone
and speaker or headphone out.

You could ask on the electronic groups if someone can help you, or even build
you something.

I myself would buy a small amp kit, just a few watts, maybe from Canokit, and
fit it with a microphone and low voltage (6v) AC relay, and hook it up to a
cable release. Cost maybe $50 or so complete. You need an amp with mic
capability or the sound would have to be too loud. For a mic you just need any
cheap 'toy' you can find - else you could pay a lot!

Unfortunately, for water drops, you would need a very very good audio system!
(unless they fall on a drum!)

Old December 22nd 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.M. Procida

Dave wrote:

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if
your handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Thanks. It looks like I need to set the camera for a long exposure, and
then use something to trigger a flash unit.

So I guess I need, as well as a trigger kit, a flash unit which can be
triggered by a signal from a trigger.

What kind of flash unit would be suggested? I have an old flash unit
from my Praktica, but it doesn't have an input for a trigger.

Daniele
Old December 22nd 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Coon

D.M. Procida wrote:
What kind of flash unit would be suggested? I have an old flash unit
from my Praktica, but it doesn't have an input for a trigger.

Daniele

But does it have a test button? If so then a trigger switch might be
connected there. There are also hot-shoe sockets that have a cable to
connect to old-fashioned sync sockets which might be used.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old December 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dirty Harry

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if your
handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Awesome, time to go to the electronics store!