Does the Canon 5D has Rear Sync Flash?

Old November 21st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Does the Canon 5D has Rear Sync Flash?

I just got a 5D and, so far, I love the camera, but I can't get the
flash to fire before the shutter closes. I did set the Custom function
#15 to "2nd Curtain sync", but it doesn't do the trick. Thinking it
could be a problem with the flash, I asked my friend to try it on his
Nikon D200 and it works fine. What am I doing wrong?

Old November 21st 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
George K

For the Nikon cameras that can perform rear curtain sync, one needs to
be using the shooting mode of P (Auto Multi Program), S (Shutter
Priority Auto), A (Aperture Priority Auto, or M (Manual).

A quick check of the 5D manual discloses you need to use the P mode
and not the full auto mode.

#15 to "2nd Curtain sync", but it doesn't do the trick. Thinking it

Old November 22nd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

#15 to "2nd Curtain sync", but it doesn't do the trick. Thinking it
could be a problem with the flash, I asked my friend to try it on his
Nikon D200 and it works fine. What am I doing wrong?

What flash are you using?
On my 580EX, you can easily put it into second curtain synch by pressing a
dedicated button on the flash unit...which toggles through high-speed
synch/second curtain/normal.

I was hoping you wouldn't ask Its a Minolta 200X. I bought it in
1982. I didn't expect it to work today, but it does. I wanted to take a
goofy shot of me driving in my car at night and I didn't want to buy a
flash for that, so I gave it a try.

NOTE: If you set custom function 14 to second curtain, but leave the flash
unit itself on normal (1st curtain), the flash will OVER-RIDE the custom
function.

The other possibility is that you're being fooled by the E-TTL
pre-flash...which will still fire slightly BEFORE exposure...even during
second curtain synch...followed by the exposure, and actual flash before the
shutter closes.

My shutter speed was set to 2" and I can tell for sure the flash fired
at the beginning, but not at the end. It might have been the E-TTL, but
it was not followed by a second one. I'm also sure the flash recharged
immediately and it could have fired before the shutter closed.

I tried on M, P & Av. No luck. Any other ideas?

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson