horizontal lines

Old November 14th 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default horizontal lines

when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.

Old November 14th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

frederick wrote:
wrote:
when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.

Do you mean that the pattern printed by a head cleaning operation looks
good - or that after head cleaning the problem with horizontal lines is
improved?
Check that your paper type selection and quality setting is correct.
If you can run a nozzle check, then a single blocked nozzle should show
as a missing segment of a test pattern. But one blocked nozzle might
not show up as a consistent line across the print, as it will be only
affecting one colour.
Horizontal lines might also be a result of head alignment, so check that
and adjust if required.
If that doesn't solve the problem (so head alignment and nozzle blockage
is eliminated) then it could be a paper feed problem - possibly due to
dirt or ink buildup on paper feed rollers.
Some printers also have high-speed modes (the print head deposits ink in
both directions as the carriage moves from side to side). This can
sometimes result in banding, and can usually be toggled off in the driver.

That's why I threw out (well gave away) my color printer and use either
on-line processing or Kodak Kiosk. Admittedly, it was probably the worst
choice of printer available.
Dave Cohen
Old November 14th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Dave Cohen wrote:
frederick wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Some of the newer printers from Epson, Canon, and HP are much more
reliable than in the past. I have an Epson R1800, and have had no
problems in 18 months use with blockages or banding etc.
What really sucks is the ink price.
While I can churn out large prints (13x19) at less than half the cost of
a lab, and after some experience with colour management, at consistently
better quality, for small prints cheap online services are around half
the cost of the R1800.
Old November 14th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

My Canon does that if I pick the wrong paper setting, try paper made by
the company that made the printer and the proper settings.