Nikon D200 vs. D80

Old September 11th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
W Chan

Default Nikon D200 vs. D80

I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

w.

Old September 11th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

The D70 was a better camera than the D100.
The D80 probably has identical innards to the D200 because of cost
considerations. Any other differences are likely to be in the software
encoded in the camera so that the D200 seems "better." Unless an independent
reviewer strips down a D200 and a D80 I would not entirely rely on what the
manufacturer says are the differences in their imaging systems.
I am waiting to actually pick up a D80 before making a decision to buy: the
additional 4mps of the sensor are irrelevant for me. However if the viewing
screen really is bigger, brighter and capable of some manual focus, the
latter being essentially impossible in the D70, I will likely buy a D80.

Old September 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

bmoag wrote:
The D70 was a better camera than the D100.
The D80 probably has identical innards to the D200 because of cost
considerations. Any other differences are likely to be in the software
encoded in the camera so that the D200 seems "better." Unless an independent
reviewer strips down a D200 and a D80 I would not entirely rely on what the
manufacturer says are the differences in their imaging systems.
I am waiting to actually pick up a D80 before making a decision to buy: the
additional 4mps of the sensor are irrelevant for me. However if the viewing
screen really is bigger, brighter and capable of some manual focus, the
latter being essentially impossible in the D70, I will likely buy a D80.

Well, you got your D80 and have whined a lot about RAW incompatibility,
so it is obvious that the D80 is different than the D200 in at least
that respect.

Most people expected that the D80 would have picture quality at least
as good, if not slightly better than the D200 -- we hope that progress
continues and that Nikon is not deliberately crippling new cameras.
That said, there are some considerable differences between the D80 and
the D200, some having to do with picture quality and some not. Most
notably, the D200 is a lot easier to use if you like to change settings
frequently. ISO, picture quality, white balance and mode all have their
own buttons. The D80 is not nearly so convenient. The D200 is metal and
weather sealed. The D80 is not. The D200 uses the clunky, but
versatile, ML-3 wireless remote; the D80 uses the tiny, but single
function, ML-L3 wireless remote. It really seems to me that Nikon could
have built an infrared ML-3 sensor onto the front of the D200, but that
would probably have added another switch on the back or a menu item to
select wireless remote channel.

If you like shooting in P mode most of the time and don't fiddle much
with white balance or ISO, the D80 is a better choice. If you are out
in the weather a lot, rarely use P mode, constantly adjust ISO and/or
white balance, change lenses frequently, have manual focus lenses,
etc., then you probably want the D200.

Old September 21st 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...

versatile, ML-3 wireless remote; the D80 uses the tiny, but single
function, ML-L3 wireless remote.

Just an FYI, the D80 also accepts the wired remote from the D70s.

If you like shooting in P mode most of the time and don't fiddle
much
with white balance or ISO, the D80 is a better choice. If you are
out
in the weather a lot, rarely use P mode, constantly adjust ISO
and/or
white balance, change lenses frequently, have manual focus lenses,
etc., then you probably want the D200.

Good advice.

Although how hard is it to press a button and turn a dial to set ISO
or WB on the D80? I use my friends D70s a fair bit and I can change
ISO almost as quickly as on his D200. Certainly faster than I can
change it on my Canon Rebel XT.

Old September 21st 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Bill wrote:
[...]

Well, not that hard, really. But having switched from the D70 the D200
does seem a lot more conveniently laid out to me.