Inkjet printer replacement recommendation

Old August 28th 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alexander Miha

Default Inkjet printer replacement recommendation

Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
-- Alex

Old August 28th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
Alexander Miha wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

After miserable experiences with permanently clogged ink flow and the
exhorbitant cost of ink, I chose to buy a laser for B&W and make prints
at the photo store. Cheaper and better over all.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
Old August 28th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Ockham's Razor wrote:
In article ,
Alexander Miha wrote:

[...]

A little more money and you oculd get a color laser. I've seen some
great prints from color laser.

Joe Sarrach

Old August 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:39:33 +0000, Alexander Miha wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
-- Alex

I have a HP Deskjet 6520 and am satisfied with the results I get.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old August 28th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Alexander Miha wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

That requirement means you should focus on HP printers. I
don't have one of the models that is dedicated to photo
printing, but I used one a few months ago, and the output
was fantastic. Most, if not all, models print directly from
memory cards, with provision for some editing.

Old August 28th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Alexander Miha" ?????? ??? ??????
news
Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
-- Alex

How about the canon ip 4300?

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...ubble_Jet/PIXM
A_iP4300/index.asp?ComponentID=388896&SourcePageID=26389#1
It has single inks, dipensable separate head so when the ink is clogged you
trash just the head and not the whole printer, can print on printable cds
and dvds and costs here 136 euros with taxes.Every inkjet printer, according
to computer experts (I have asked them) should print at least once a week,
both B&W and colour or else.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
mechanized infantry reservist

Old August 28th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark

"Alexander Miha" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I
have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10,
8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for
months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I have had a Canon i9900 for about 3 years ... it has gone many months
between print cycles and never clogged. While it is a large format
printer, the smaller page size Canon printers that use similar
head/ink technology should perform similarly. Truly excellent output.

Old August 28th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

Sitting six months without use is hard for any printer.
While I am biased in favor of the quality of Epson images and the
superiority of Epson color management and printer drivers clogging is a real
issue with Epson printers, worse when the printer is not regularly used.
If color management is not crucial to the way you print Canon printers in my
experience are less prone to printer head problems than Epson although more
difficult to get critically accurate color out of.
I do not have experience with current generation HP photo printers, which
reportedly have improved, because I found earlier generations were
disappointing.

Old August 28th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
[...]

And therein lies the problem for people like me, so it's laser for b&w,
on-line printing for photos. Also cheaper that way. Want a quick print,
try the Kodak kiosk at CVS.
Dave Cohen

Old August 29th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raphael Bustin

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:09:57 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

Sitting six months without use is hard for any printer.
While I am biased in favor of the quality of Epson images and the
superiority of Epson color management and printer drivers clogging is a real
issue with Epson printers, worse when the printer is not regularly used.
If color management is not crucial to the way you print Canon printers in my
experience are less prone to printer head problems than Epson although more
difficult to get critically accurate color out of.
I do not have experience with current generation HP photo printers, which
reportedly have improved, because I found earlier generations were
disappointing.

HP is probably the safest choice for a casual and
infrequently-used printer. Epson pigments will give
the best-lasting prints, but they don't take kindly to
sitting idle.

Personally, I don't expect any inkjet printer to withstand
years of heavy use - except maybe a pro model (eg.
Epson 7x00/9x00 etc.) And Even those big Epsons
fall down occasionally.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com