A New Tool For Photographers

Old May 12th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default A New Tool For Photographers

In article 2017051115282110289-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
However,
there are times when the camera metering will fail you, or there is
little choice but to go full manual and the assistance of a good
incident/spot light is going to be invaluable. Consider shooting in a
studio with variable artificial lighting, or outdoors using ND filters.

Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?
--
Alfred Molon

Old May 12th 17, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

However,
there are times when the camera metering will fail you, or there is
little choice but to go full manual and the assistance of a good
incident/spot light is going to be invaluable. Consider shooting in a
studio with variable artificial lighting, or outdoors using ND filters.

Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

a lot of times, there is no retaking the shot.
Old May 12th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-12 18:29:36 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

In article 2017051115282110289-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
However,
there are times when the camera metering will fail you, or there is
little choice but to go full manual and the assistance of a good
incident/spot light is going to be invaluable. Consider shooting in a
studio with variable artificial lighting, or outdoors using ND filters.

Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

For many photographers there is a concept called "getting it right".

Savageduck

Old May 13th 17, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2017-05-12 18:29:36 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

[]
Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

For many photographers there is a concept called "getting it right".

.... and "right" is what the camera produces, not what some incident
light meter tells you. You may want some special effect (e.g. sunsets,
night shots...).

Colour temperature metering could be of interest, though, and possibly
studio photography, which is not something I do.

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 13th 17, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-13 07:24:58 +0000, David Taylor

On 2017-05-12 18:29:36 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

[]
Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

For many photographers there is a concept called "getting it right".

... and "right" is what the camera produces, not what some incident
light meter tells you. You may want some special effect (e.g. sunsets,
night shots...).

It is for those odd times and special effects when the camera isn't
necessarily reliable thay an incident meter becomes useful.

The outdoor/landscape scenario I can think of is using ND filters such
as a Lee Big Stopper for long exposure shots. A lightmeter can make
those calculations much more precisely than the guess work when
depending on the camera which isn't going to meter accurately behind a
10 stop ND.

Old May 13th 17, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2017051211401737879-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

For many photographers there is a concept called "getting it right".

I thought that meant being able to get a good out of camera JPEG,
without having to tweak a lot in post-processing.

I mean, if you are there in the field, take the shot, notice that it is
not properly exposed, what prevents you from retaking it with the right
exposure?
You might not always have this perfect external metering device with
you...

BTW, in an online forum I saw a post of a traitor who defected from the
Fuji X-T2 to the Olympus E-M1 II ;-)
--
Alfred Molon

Old May 13th 17, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-13 09:39:09 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

In article 2017051211401737879-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
Not sure I understand why you would need an external metering device in
such cases. Can't you just take the shot and if it comes over- or
underexposed, simply adjust the exposure and retake the shot?

For many photographers there is a concept called "getting it right".

I thought that meant being able to get a good out of camera JPEG,
without having to tweak a lot in post-processing.

Yes, there is that concept. I try my best with the best tool I have and
that is usually the camera.

I mean, if you are there in the field, take the shot, notice that it is
not properly exposed, what prevents you from retaking it with the right
exposure?

Sometimes there is only an opportunity for a single shot. These days
many folks try to ensure capturing that the "Magnificent Miracle" shot
by using AE bracketing. Sometimes that is enough, sometimes it isn't.
There are also times when your only option is to go full manual,
including manual exposure. Those are times when without a lightmeter,
one has to make those calculations through experience, or dumb luck. It
is something many do, I certainly have.

You might not always have this perfect external metering device with
you...

To tell the truth, I haven't carried, or used a lightmeter in some 40+ years.

However, I can appreciate there are times when lighting, or the
addition of filters can make TLL metering questionable, and I could do
with the assistance of a lightmeter. I also understand that today, most
shooters have no idea that a tool such as a lightmeter even exists.

BTW, in an online forum I saw a post of a traitor who defected from the
Fuji X-T2 to the Olympus E-M1 II ;-)

That happens. It also happens the other way along with changes made by
the faithful of other brands. There are also shooters who shoot with a
mix of cameras. Personally I am more that happy with my X-T2, and the
Fujinon glass, just as I am sure there shooters who are going to be
happy with their E-M1 II.

Savageduck