Old September 15th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Lenses and sharpening

On 2014-09-15 18:26:01 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

All adjustments made to *Smart Objects*, in Photoshop terms, are
non-destructive.

true, but i was thinking of lightroom where no additional steps are
required because everything is non-destructive.

These days with my LR+PS workflow many of my images make a round trip
from LR to PS and back to LR have all the layers retained. If I need a
JPEG I use the LR export dialog.

very few of mine need photoshop anymore.

Yup! That is quite a different non-destructive process which quite a
few here have yet to grasp even though they own LR.

Since this thread relates to the application of USM and/or other
sharpening, I left LR out of the discussion. I am still unsure of what
Alfred uses for his post processing.

lightroom does usm.

…but it isn’t presented to the user as such. It appears in the detail
pane labeled “Sharpening” with somewhat different parameters to those
found in the PS USM. That those parameters (other that percentage &
radius) have different labels to those found in PS USM are probably of
little significance, but many users might well not recognize them as
the same process in different applications.

with photoshop, the user has to take additional steps to be
non-destructive.

Once you have developed a PS non-destructive workflow, it is easy
enough to execute.

it's not hard, but it is additional steps that aren't needed in
lightroom which is non-destructive by design.

Savageduck