Old February 9th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default A New Name For Rodinal?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
No, *you* had better get used to it. I live in a place (the U.S.) where
one still has a reasonable choice of developers, not the weird sort of
fortress that Israel apparently is.

No, the fortress is actually the U.S. The problems with importing developers
are that since they are post 9/11 considered hazmats, they have to
sent by ship. Since they are labeled hazmats, they have will need to have
some documentation that they are not hazardous enough to be concerned
about.

If they were not labeled hazmats, or not prohibited by the airlines, they
could just be stuffed in a suitcase.

A friend recently sent a suitcase of things for us via a third party. Nothing
real interesting, a very old laptop computer for parts, candy, books, etc.
To makes things easy, she included a manifest and left it unlocked. When it
got here it was locked. Inside was a note saying that a TSA agent inspected
the contents and for our safety, locked it.

The problems with shipping by boat is the cost and since it only makes sense
to ship a case, someone will want an import permit, and since it is now on
a list of hazmats, documentation that it is safe to ship and import.

What I think will be the problem with getting developers in the U.S. is
a matter of demand and liability. Eventually US shippers will no longer
accept, for liability reasons, hazmats. All someone needs is to have a
bottle of developer break on a UPS truck, and get on an employee and that
will end their carrying them. :-(

Geoff.