Old June 22nd 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Misleading bloggers and the use of "free".

On 6/21/2016 4:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

Before I switched to Ooma from CenturyLink, and ported the number, I
never got junk calls. Afterwards, I was flooded with them. I've seen
that some people believe that CenturyLink sells phone number to
marketers when people leave, and I also wonder if Ooma does something
along those lines to get people to pay the extra $10/month for their
service that allows you to block calls. I went the cheapest way
because all I wanted was to keep the number, instead of having to tell
everyone a new one. I really have no use for the number otherwise, but
I'm still too cheap to pay the $10 to block calls. I did have it on
the free trial period, and it works very well.

pay to block calls???

There are additional packages you can purchase for Ooma service.
Blocking calls with Ooma is via NoMoreRobo and that is part of an
additional $10.00/month package. With Ooma, you buy the device and
don't pay for a monthly service except for a couple of government
fees/surcharges that for me amounted to abotu $3.00 per month. My
device cost me $80.00, for the basic service it would cost me about
$36.00 per year.

doesn't ooma require their own device?

Yes, they require their own device. I had walked past it many times in
Costco over the years. After checking into it, I decided to buy one.
I'm quite satisfied with it. I've got it plugged into the house wiring
and use my home phones, I don't use one of Ooma's handsets.

i use voip.ms, which works with any standard ata device (i use two
obihai atas), any standard voip phone and/or any of a number of sip
apps on a smartphone or computer.

each number is 85c/mo and includes a ****load of features, including
call filtering, call screening (press 1 to be connected), multiple
extensions (each room can be a separate extension), automated
attendants (press 1 for sales, 2 for support..), call queues, multiple
voicemail inboxes, custom forwarding, extensive call logs and a
****load more i don't remember offhand.

another very good choice is callcentric, which has an easier to use
interface but not as flexible. for my use patterns, the price was also
a little higher.

anveo is another reasonable choice but they have some odd restrictions
that i did not like and a weird way to configure forwarding and queues.