Old July 4th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default morse contact printers

"RJM" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Morse contact printer. I have found that I can
make contact
prints on normal enlarging paper by using an enlarging
timer to control
exposure. I have a timer that will do time increments of
0.1 seconds.
With all of the bulbs exposing I can usually get properly
exposed
prints at times of about 0.4-0.5 seconds. When I cut the
number of
bulbs down I can get a little more exposure latitude. If
we added an
ND filter for 3-4 stops density decrease, and also used
the timer we
would probably have a reasonable amount of print control.

Given the speed ratio of a bout 1:100 of enalrging paper
to contact paper this sounds about right. The argon lamps
turn on and off instantaneously, one could not make shuch
short exposures with incandescent lamps.
Its quite possible that a ND filter would also work, one
would want to know its UV transmission. The problem is that
you would not be able to vary the contrast of variable
contrast paper.
I will have to experiment with this when I print next.
The last week we have had 90 degree temperatures in L.A. so
I have not been feeling much like darkroom work (no A/C).

--
---
Richard Knoppow