Old November 1st 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default T-MAX 400 For Studio Portraits?

Most of my b&w activities are in medium format but I've had some
projects in the past year or so with TMY-2 in 35mm and it seems that
Xtol and this film were made for each other (and maybe that's the
case!). Xtol 1:1 has given me easy-to-print results, rating at 320.
I've only done a few TMY-2 rolls in 120 as it seems I tend to use my
"go-to" film/developer combos for things that matter more in 120 and
4x5 so far. It certainly looks to have great potential in 120 and
4X5, though. I've played a bit with some sheets in 4x5 in Xtol and
PyroCat and it seems that it has good potential and I like the idea of
not needing to deal with as much in reciprocity issues like most other
films.

An acquaintance gets beautiful results in D76 1:1 as others have
mentioned. I think you could start with one of these basic soups and
get very nice results quickly in your project. Most of his portraits
display great skin tones and transitions. He uses D76 simply because
that's what he's used for many years on everything. I think anyone
reviewing his results would be very pleased.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:03:30 +0000, Darkroom User
wrote:

Is Kodak 400 2-TMY a good choice for portraits? What developer do you
use to get good negatives?
(120 roll films.)
So many developers to choose it is bewildering.