Old September 20th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Default Film Flash in Digital Camera.

"Wayne" wrote in message
In article tuiIi.3231$yO2.1158@trndny01,
says...

Only if its trigger voltage isn't too high. It will fry or harm a
digital.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

wow I did not even think of anything like that.
I did read or think I did that the flash may not fire in time or 2 fast
for
digital.

The voltage of old flash units is an issue. You can simply measure it
with a
digital volt meter, from the large center pin on the foot to the metal
foot,
while simply turned on. This voltage, if high, can damage digital
cameras.
Digital cameras vary, no bets on specific models, but Nikon seems to say
up
to 250 volts where Canon says up to 6V. Modern flash units today are all
quite low, like 5V at the shoe. Old ones might be 300V.

But you can always add the Wein SafeSync module in between at shoe for
voltage protection however. This is what it is for.

The flash speed is not an issue. The issue is that the old flash only
understands manual mode and must be used in manual mode at the camera too.
Because digital cameras (all of them) use preflash to meter their TTL
flash,
and this preflash will trigger any manual flash too early, before shutter
is
open. Solution is to use manual flash mode at the camera too, to match
it.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

I think I will wait until I get the 580EX II.
wow I could have fried my new camera lol.
you would have seen me posting in alt.shotshelfinhead.
I will test it just to get some use out of my mulitmeter one of these days.
thank you

JSM