Old May 24th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

jeremy wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
Nobody seems to have responded with the reason many of us don't buy DSLRs:
we buy what we can afford. I would love to have a DSLR with a collection
of lenses and accessories, but I get along with my S3 IS. When medical
expenses go down, gasoline goes down etc I will get a DSLR. But in the
meantime I enjoy what I have.
Allen

Have you considered getting a film scanner, and continuing to use your film
cameras and lenses for image capture?

Especially if you have several bodies, the film scanner turns them, in a
sense, into "digital cameras."

For me, the appeal of digital is in the editing, not necessarily in the
image capture phase.

I have scanned hundreds of my old film pictures, and not ONE of them
looks as good as any of my digital camera's pictures. Scanning is a
very poor substitute for the 'real thing'. For me, the appeal of
digital is the reduced cost, and hassle, over film. I doubt I will ever
remove my film camera from the drawer for any purpose than nostalgia in
the future.