Old May 23rd 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

Geoff Berrow wrote:
following:

It is not because it may become obsolete, any will, but it still should do
everything in ten years that it does now. We all know people still quite
happy with 1 or 2 megapixels because they never print anything. 3 or 4
megapixels will print 4x6 inches, and 6 or 8 megapixels will print 8x10
inches. Few of us have any use for more megapixels. But if you need more,
you should buy more.

I've enlarged 6.1 megapixels very successfully to 20 x 16.(Nikon D70)
In fact, the resolution of the lens becomes apparent before pixels are
noticeable so if you need more pixels, you also need better lenses

Indeed, increasing the number of pixels, beyond a certain level is a
waste of time if the lens isn't good enough to take advantage of the
increased resolution. That's why the cameras with a lot of pixels cost
more. The current trend to cameras with 12 mp or more in a compact P&S
camera are probably a waste of money as the lenses aren't likely to be
up to the task.