Old May 23rd 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Scott W

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

On May 22, 6:31 pm, Wayne wrote:
In article .com,
says...

I have to take issue with this, the advantage of a higher end DSLR is
not mainly about features but performance, works in lower light,
faster auto-focus, faster shot to shot time, better looking photos
etc. In fact it seems to be the small point and shoot cameras that
are loaded with features.

Semantics... performance features are features, which we may choose to
purchase. Features may just be buttons or menus to you, but I'd define
features as the prominent characteristics of the camera, particularly the
differences to other cameras. Size and weight and color are features.

But you were saying before that what you got for more money was
features and that if a person was not going to use these features then
it was a waste to spend money on them. But anybody using a better
performing camera will benefit from it. If for example you are
counting low noise as a feature (which I would not) then low noise
photos are a good thing for anyone using the camera, it would be hard
not to make use of this "feature".

Scott