Old August 5th 05, 02:18 AM
Cordovero

Cathy,

I, too, tend to take mostly indoor portraits. I have played around with my
own and friends' Sony's, Kodak's, and Olympus's.

The Kodaks (the 7440, for example) gave ridiculous amounts of redeye. The
Sony's I've used almost never give me any redeye when I have the redeye
reduction feature on. It's great not to have to fix this stuff in software.
The Olympus cameras were awful in terms of focus and color.

I would highly recommend a Sony in your price range. Any Sony with a
Carl-Zeiss lens and 4 mp.

Just my two cents,

"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi all,
I've been looking for the last few months for a digital camera in stores
and read tons and tons of reviews, and now am confused as to what I
should get.
I want a camera with at least a 1.8" LCD and a clear viewfinder that is
not blurry (to me at least).
I mainly want a camera for family indoor shots and scenery when I go
somewhere .
But many will be indoors, so I want to try to get one with not much red
eye, though I notice many seem to have that problem. I look at many
reviews and photo samples on Steves site and dresource.com. (I like
those two sites the best, but also have been to depreview.com.) I know
you can take red eye out with software, but I would prefer if possible
to try to get a camera that doesn't have a lot of red eye. I like
pictures that turn out clear and sharp.

A 3.2 MP is ok for me, as I don't want to pay much more than $250.00 US
or under. I am in Canada, but just to give you an idea of price.

Here's what I was considering:

Canon A75 or A85, but needing 4 batteries kind of puts me off. I would
prefer 2 batteries. Canon have recently brought out two new cameras, the
A510- 3 MP and the A520 - 4 MP which have two batteries and they take SD
memory cards. I was thinking of buying one of them, but the reviews on
all the sites I looked at, said they had a lot of red eye, and were not
as good as A75 and A85.

Kodak CX 7530, is a good price right now, and I like the look of Kodak
DX 7440, which is about $100.00 more.
Or Olympus D 580, also a good price camera. The samples on dresource.com
were good of the Olympus D580, and very little redeye on indoor photo on
the site, but said the flash was weak unless taking small groups, but
that might not be a big problem for me.

Any and all comments or personal experiences with any of these cameras
would be much appreciated.

Cathy