Old December 2nd 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

"Wilba" wrote in message
Wilba wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:

There's no substitute for time and experience.

So now we get back to the point. I agree but I also think there IS a
viable substitute - histogram, highlight, and shadow displays (either on
the image or live). That's very valuable information, available
"instantly", to help you determine camera settings with accuracy.

I also believe that if you don't already have the time and experience, at
least these exposure displays will help you to learn the judgement skills
more easily and rapidly than waiting for prints or slides to come back
from the lab.

Now I understand better from another of your posts that you are talking
about your own ability, style, and requirements, rather than making any
global claims that histograms, etc. are useless or superfluous for
everyone. You have tried them as intended for sufficiently long to judge
that they don't help you, right? :-)

Yeah, right. ;-)

Neil