Old July 19th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Tmax & D-76

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/18/2010 8:02 AM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
.com...

Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in
here at Nebenzahl Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you
that I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old
(~5 years) stock, and the negatives came out looking
gorgeous. The prints, too. (This was 35mm film. I'd
really like to shoot something larger in this film stock
someday.)

This has been my standard combination for years. I
also use full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol on 35mm
T-Max 100 negatives. That combination has grain nearly as
fine as the late, lamented, Technical Pan but with much
greater speed (about EI 50) and much more easily
controlled contrast.

So do you use D-76 full strength or diluted 1:1?

I have some Microdol-X, so I'll use it on my next roll of
T-Max. A one-stop loss of speed is no big deal.

I usually use D-76 diluted 1:1 as a one-shot. For a time
I was using it full strength and replenishing but I found I
was not developing enough film to justify that and I also
prefer the somewhat longer developing times the diluted
developer gives.
Microdol-X and Perceptol, which are essentially
identical, lose their extra-fine-grain property when diluted
so must be used full strength is minimum grain is the
objective. At 1:3 they produce full film speed and begin to
show some acutance effect but the grain is then about the
same as D-76.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA