Old February 7th 21, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
dale

Default digital vs film...

On 2/7/2021 11:40 AM, dale wrote:
On 12/29/2020 10:34 AM, Dimitris Tzortzakakis wrote:
although that ship has long sailed, here goes: well, analogue film had
resolving power, which was measured in lines/mm and digital, of
course, has resolution (in megapixels). apples and oranges. film was
not made to be scanned digitally, but to be enlarged optically. After
2 years of film , I had foorgotten how good it was, after almost 20
years of digital photography. With a hand held flash shot, in Agfapan
APX 400, regular grain, not T-grain I made a succesful enlargement in
30 X 40, only the focus of the enlarger was a bit tricky as I had to
open the diaphgram to get an acceptable exposure (30 secs @ F 5.6).

transparency films have much more dynamic range?

some negative films have more than one stop of exposure on its dynamic
range?

more dynamic range than one regular image?

then there is push/pull processing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_range

"The exposure range of a device is usually expressed in stops, which are
equivalent to {\displaystyle \log _{2}(c)}\log _{{2}}(c) where c is the
medium or device's contrast ratio. For example, average Digital Video
(DV) has a contrast ratio of 45:1, so its exposure range is roughly 5.5
stops. Film has an exposure range of approximately 14 stops."

--
Minister Dale Kelly, Ph.D.
https://www.dalekelly.org/