Old January 12th 21, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

On Jan 12, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it¹s helpful, so wait. If it¹s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam¹s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

adobe shouldn't be hogging the cpu unless it's actively doing
something, such as a complex filter on a large image.

stuff like malwarebytes and foxit are not cpu-intensive and should not
cause major cpu load at all.

They were both broken after updates. MWB was CPU (not 100%, but enough to
cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker spec’d
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening. I think Eric’s is an i7, and
better spec’d, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an
unusual number of huge issues with that PC. He might want to just start
over...