Old November 26th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.large-format

Default FS: 11x14 Deardorff Marine Corps camera

It strikes me as highly unlikely that a large view camera would ever
be used for recon -- they're bulky to carry and very slow to set up
and focus etc. And 11 X 14 is a very large view camera. In addition
to the camera, you'd have to carry film holders and a darkcloth --
very cumbersome.

If you were going to use a large format camera for such a purpose, a
press camera such as Speed Graphic would seem a much better choice.
It's hand-held, and quick to operate. That was a commonly used camera
through the Korean war.

Deardorff 11 X 14s were often used as process cameras. I could see
one being used to copy recon photographs taken with another camera or
for some other repro purpose.

But hey, the military "works in mysterious ways, their wonders to
perform." Anything is possible

On 15 Nov 2005 09:15:33 -0800, wrote:

More details...It is a folding wooden field camera. The story I was
told was that it was used to photograph beaches and surrounding areas
prior to landings. It also came with a tripod with a bayonet mount on
one of the legs, for obvious reasons. A Marine would run up on shore,
stab the bad guys, take a few negatives and go back to the ship for
development. Then the higher ups would inspect the prints and make
decisions on where to land or go after they landed. This is just what
I've heard, so any input or corrections would be appreciated.