Old October 12th 03, 04:09 PM
Bob Sull

Default Any advantages of conventional over digital?

Knack wrote:

I found a really nice Olympus Accura Zoom 105 point and shoot 35mm film
camera at a web store. It has a zoom lens range of 38-105mm (3x), but the
reasons for instead buying a digital camera seem compelling enough.

What are the advantages, if any, of a film camera over a digital camera when
comparing two cameras of the same zoom range?

You don't need a computer. You don't need a photo quality printer. (Ink
and paper are expensive) You don't need special software, You don't
have to spend time in front of the computer looking at your shots.
(Drop the film off and pick it up the next day or when you are done
shopping) You don't have to print, with your computer and printer and
software and your time, the shots you want to share with friends. The
faster the printer, the more expensive it is.

OTOH, untill you get familiar with your film camera and the film you
decide to use, you are not always sure that you got what you wanted on
film till after it is processed. If you are in "The Valley of Fire
State PArk" in Nevada and home is in Rhode Island, going back to redo
the shot isn't usually an option. Then too, shots you don't want, get
thrown away but you pay for them. With digital you just dump them in
the bit bucket. The film is not reusable and the digital media is.

Then again, as someone said on one of the fora I subscribe to, "I am
having trouble getting data off of a 5.25" diskette, nobody has a 5.25"
diskette drive anymore. Oh, by the way, I printed a sixty year old
negative last night....."