Old December 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen Smithee

Default Flash gun attachment

"eugene" wrote in message

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel
attachment for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright
photo, the gun remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have
searched for this but I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using
so presumably the attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in
Dublin and it cost about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

Sounds like a Camera rotator/flash rotator bracket. There are a few popular
ones:
Tiffen: http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe
Really Right Stuff: http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/04.html
Newton Camera Brackets: http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/default-old.htm
Custom Brackets:
http://www.custombrackets.com/script...?idproduct=130

There is also this one, which looks pretty compact, but I haven't heard from
anyone who has used it:
Dot Line Stealth:
http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?mai...uct s_id=6345

Some keep the flash in the horizontal position all the time and some are
designed to flip the flash so that in portrait, the flash is also moved to
portrait position (even though it is still above the camera).

Canon do a flash bracket called a SB-E2, but to be honest, I don't see the
point in it as it puts the flash to the side of the camera in landscape
orientation, which means that you are going to have a potential shadow
problem in landscape position.